From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Subject: Re: B DEL is being treated as expiry?
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 18:37:53 +0200	[thread overview]

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:
>> I think the problem under discussion only happens for nnmail backends,
>> since the problem only happens when expiry targets which is a nnmail
>> thingie.
>
> No, nnmaildir has an equivalent but independent feature.

Which is used even when `force' is non-nil?  I think the feature
should be deactivated in that case.

Hm.  Really, nnml and other backends shouldn't use the
nnmail-expiry-target feature when force is non-nil as well.  This
would be the proper fix, instead of binding nnmail-expiry-target to
'delete in gnus-sum.el.  Someone who like to take a look at it?

> Anyway, it seems that we want two functions: immediate deletion and
> time-based expiration, where the behavior on expiration is
> configurable.  Are we satisfied that those are the only features we
> want from nnchoke-request-expire-articles?  If so, then let's update
> the backend interface documentation to specify that the "force"
> argument indicates both immediacy and deletion instead of
> expiration.  Then let's fix the code to make it so.  Or, if we're
> not satisfied with those two functions, let's figure out what else
> we want, and then update the docs and code.

I thought the force parameter indicated immediate deletion.  Isn't the
docs clear?

`(nnchoke-request-expire-articles ARTICLES &optional GROUP SERVER FORCE)'
     This function should run the expiry process on all articles in the
     ARTICLES range (which is currently a simple list of article
     numbers.)  It is left up to the back end to decide how old articles
     should be before they are removed by this function.  If FORCE is
     non-`nil', all ARTICLES should be deleted, no matter how new they
     are.

     This function should return a list of articles that it did not/was
     not able to delete.

     There should be no result data returned.