From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: oddies with enigmail
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:28:06 +0200	[thread overview]

Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> writes:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:29:03 +0000, Uwe Brauer said:
>
>> The question is can I clear sign the message such that enigmail would
>> not complain?
>
> Do you say that pgg inserts the Hash line?  This is obviously wrong -
> it is best to let gpg create the cleas signed message.  This will make
> sure that the correct header is used.

PGG doesn't insert nor remove any Hash: lines.  The output from gpg is
used directly, except for QP encoding when needed.  Gnus will QP
encode the output from gpg, so the receiver till have to perform QP
decode before it looks like a valid OpenPGP packet.  This might break
some MUAs that expect the OpenPGP armor to not be QP escaped, but
rather, only the signed data.  But such a message wouldn't conform to
MIME specs (the '=' in the CRC24 tag is invalid QP unless escaped),
and some MTAs bounce those messages...

That the morale is to use PGP/MIME instead is hopefully obvious.