* Gnus and sieve
@ 2004-11-30 22:21 Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2004-11-30 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had posted this on gnu.emacs.gnus before but did not get any
response. If the question is unclear, please let me know what
additional information might be useful.

So far I wrote my sieve script by hand, but now I am trying to put my
sieve-rules into group parameters. For groups where I have a single
sender put in it works nicely:
,----
| (sieve address "sender" "someone.somewhere.org")
`----

However, I could not figure out how to generate rules like the
following:
,----
| if address :contains "from" ["name-LMehjL4SQ+Y@public.gmane.org", "else-UDnQCpdwoQ8@public.gmane.org"] {
|     fileinto "groupname";
| }
`----
I've tried to put a list, a long string, multiple sieve parameters and
other such constructs into gnus-parameters.

How does one achieve such behavior?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: Gnus and sieve
@ 2004-12-01 22:08 ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]   ` <ilu653lu0wk.fsf-Hx3HMpEclzRikQyLtWShHUB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-12-01 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jochen Küpper <usenet"@jochen-kuepper.de writes:

> I had posted this on gnu.emacs.gnus before but did not get any
> response. If the question is unclear, please let me know what
> additional information might be useful.
>

> So far I wrote my sieve script by hand, but now I am trying to put my
> sieve-rules into group parameters. For groups where I have a single
> sender put in it works nicely:
> ,----
> | (sieve address "sender" "someone.somewhere.org")
> `----
>
> However, I could not figure out how to generate rules like the
> following:
> ,----
> | if address :contains "from" ["name@one.com", "else-UDnQCpdwoQ8@public.gmane.org"] {
> |     fileinto "groupname";
> | }
> `----
> I've tried to put a list, a long string, multiple sieve parameters and
> other such constructs into gnus-parameters.
>
> How does one achieve such behavior?

Try:

(sieve address :contains "from" ("name@one.com" "else-UDnQCpdwoQ8@public.gmane.org"))

If you have suggestions (patches) for how to improve the manual, that
would be appreciated.

* Re: Gnus and sieve
       [not found]   ` <ilu653lu0wk.fsf-Hx3HMpEclzRikQyLtWShHUB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-12-12 15:23     ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2004-12-12 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas-2g3DOctPbj9BDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> If you have suggestions (patches) for how to improve the manual,
> that would be appreciated.

Maybe put the following into the Group parameters section (at line
2960 of gnus.texi from cvs):
,----
| @item sieve
| @cindex sieve
| This parameter contains a Sieve test that should match incoming mail
| that should be placed in this group.  From this group parameter, a
| Sieve @samp{IF} control structure is generated, having the test as the
| condition and @samp{fileinto "group.name";} as the body.
|
| For example, if the @samp{INBOX.list.sieve} group has the @code{(sieve
| address "sender" "sieve-admin@@extundo.com")} group parameter, when
| translating the group parameter into a Sieve script (@pxref{Sieve
| Commands}) the following Sieve code is generated:
|
| @example
| if address "sender" "sieve-admin@@extundo.com" @{
|         fileinto "INBOX.list.sieve";
| @}
| @end example
|
| To generate tests for multiple email-addresses use a group parameter
| like @code{(sieve address "sender" ("name@@one.org" else@@two.org"))}.
| When generating a sieve script (@pxref{Sieve Commands}) Sieve code
| like the following is generated:
|
| @example
| if address "sender" ["name@@one.org", "else@@two.org"] @{
|         fileinto "INBOX.list.sieve";
| @}
| @end example
|
| See @pxref{Sieve Commands} for commands and variables that might be of
| interest in relation to the sieve parameter.
|
| The Sieve language is described in RFC 3028.  @xref{Top, Emacs Sieve,
| Top, sieve, Emacs Sieve}.
`----

Sorry not to send a patch, but when editing the file with GNU Emacs
21.3.1 and then generating a cvs-diff I end up with a 1MB patch...

@ 2004-12-12 17:47       ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]         ` <ilu1xdvh0io.fsf-Hx3HMpEclzRikQyLtWShHUB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-12-12 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <jochen@fhi-berlin.mpg.de> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> If you have suggestions (patches) for how to improve the manual,
>> that would be appreciated.
>
> Maybe put the following into the Group parameters section (at line
> 2960 of gnus.texi from cvs):

Nice, thank you.  I see you have signed papers for EMACS CALC, do you
know if they also cover GNUS?

* Re: Gnus and sieve
       [not found]         ` <ilu1xdvh0io.fsf-Hx3HMpEclzRikQyLtWShHUB+6BGkLq7r@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-12-12 19:40           ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2004-12-12 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas-2g3DOctPbj9BDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I see you have signed papers for EMACS CALC, do you know if they
> also cover GNUS?

No, I do not know, but I *assume* I did. Otherwise I will do so; I
just send a message to fsf-records to clarify the issue.

@ 2004-12-12 20:19             ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-12-12 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <jochen@fhi-berlin.mpg.de> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> I see you have signed papers for EMACS CALC, do you know if they
>> also cover GNUS?
>
> No, I do not know, but I *assume* I did. Otherwise I will do so; I
> just send a message to fsf-records to clarify the issue.

Thanks.  I'll be happy to install it when they reply.