* status if imap.el patch?
@ 2002-11-20 22:34 Kevin D. Clark
From: Kevin D. Clark @ 2002-11-20 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

(keywords:  gnus imap nnimap frame hang bug)

Hi,

I am running XEmacs 21.4 (patch 4) and Gnus 5.8.8.

I recently re-wrote my .emacs file and ran into a bug when running
Gnus in its own seperate frame.  So, I went looking for patches, and I
found this:

  http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200106/msg00017.html

I applied this patch and my problems seem to have disappeared.  Gnus
was somewhat unusable before I applied this patch.

So, my questions are as follows:  Is this patch the official
resolution to this problem?  If not, should I upgrade to Pterodactyl
Gnus or Oort Gnus?   Do these versions of Gnus fix this problem in
some other (better) way?

I just want to be able to run Gnus in its own frame, that's all.

Thanks for any info!

Regards,

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark / Cetacean Networks / Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)
cetaceannetworks.com!kclark (GnuPG ID: B280F24E)

* Re: status if imap.el patch?
@ 2002-11-21 11:46 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-11-21 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

kclark@CetaceanNetworks.com (Kevin D. Clark) writes:

> I am running XEmacs 21.4 (patch 4) and Gnus 5.8.8.
>
> I recently re-wrote my .emacs file and ran into a bug when running
> Gnus in its own seperate frame.  So, I went looking for patches, and I
> found this:
>
>   http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200106/msg00017.html
>
> I applied this patch and my problems seem to have disappeared.  Gnus
> was somewhat unusable before I applied this patch.
>
> So, my questions are as follows:  Is this patch the official
> resolution to this problem?  If not, should I upgrade to Pterodactyl
> Gnus or Oort Gnus?   Do these versions of Gnus fix this problem in
> some other (better) way?

A followup to the post indicated a similar patch was added to Oort
Gnus, maybe you could try upgrading to Oort and see if it is fixed?
Pterodactyl is older than Gnus 5.8.8, so I wouldn't recommend
installing it.

* Re: status if imap.el patch?
@ 2002-11-21 13:15   ` Kevin D. Clark
From: Kevin D. Clark @ 2002-11-21 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> A followup to the post indicated a similar patch was added to Oort
> Gnus, maybe you could try upgrading to Oort and see if it is fixed?

I read the whole thread and it wasn't clear to me where this patch was
ever applied.  I see here:

   http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200106/msg00019.html

a mention that you committed the changes, but I don't know to which
version.

OBTW, I was also affected by the "reading passwords doesn't work" bug
that this thread mentioned too.  I fixed this problem the same way
that the other posters did.

Maybe I'll check out Oort...

Thanks,

--kevin
--

@ 2002-11-21 15:23     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-11-21 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

kclark@CetaceanNetworks.com (Kevin D. Clark) writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> A followup to the post indicated a similar patch was added to Oort
>> Gnus, maybe you could try upgrading to Oort and see if it is fixed?
>
> I read the whole thread and it wasn't clear to me where this patch was
> ever applied.  I see here:
>
>    http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200106/msg00019.html
>
> a mention that you committed the changes, but I don't know to which
> version.

It was to the CVS HEAD at the time, a.k.a. Oort.  It should still be
part of CVS HEAD, still a.k.a Oort.

> OBTW, I was also affected by the "reading passwords doesn't work" bug
> that this thread mentioned too.  I fixed this problem the same way
> that the other posters did.

Was there a patch proposed?  I can't locate it.

* Re: status if imap.el patch?
@ 2002-11-21 18:38       ` Kevin D. Clark
From: Kevin D. Clark @ 2002-11-21 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> kclark@CetaceanNetworks.com (Kevin D. Clark) writes:
>
> > OBTW, I was also affected by the "reading passwords doesn't work" bug
> > that this thread mentioned too.  I fixed this problem the same way
> > that the other posters did.
>
> Was there a patch proposed?  I can't locate it.

Sorry, I was unclear.

When I applied your patch in this message:

   http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200106/msg00013.html

...I encountered the "reading password eats my CR" bug.

(see this for a complete description:

   http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200106/msg00028.html
)

So, there's no patch to fix the problem that I encountered.

Regards,

--kevin
--

@ 2002-11-21 19:21         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-11-21 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

kclark@CetaceanNetworks.com (Kevin D. Clark) writes:

> When I applied your patch in this message:
>
>    http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200106/msg00013.html
>
> ...I encountered the "reading password eats my CR" bug.
>
> (see this for a complete description:
>
>    http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200106/msg00028.html
> )
>
> So, there's no patch to fix the problem that I encountered.

Ok.  If you try Oort and you still have to apply any patches, please
report it (Oort should include the patch).