From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Multiple nnimap folders as mail sources
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:30:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Michael Sperber <sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Michael Sperber <sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

>>> Would that only look at the headers as it's consulting the IMAP
>>> server, or download all the articles as well?
>>
>> It would download all articles from one IMAP mailbox, then add that
>> header, which you could inspect to filter all e-mails into the
>> nnml:foo group.  Perhaps I misunderstood what you wanted.
>
> When I'm updating only certain groups, I only want the articles of
> that group to be downloaded.  It seems what you're describing means
> I'll always need to download all the articles.

Aha, I think I understand now.

I don't think this is possible, although for a rather subtle reason.
When you press M-g to update group nnml:foo, it will run through all
mail-sources.  If there was a way to say "only query this particular
mail-source", it might work.  You could write a function to change the
mail source variable definition depending on which group you wanted to
update, but it sounds slightly messy.  Perhaps there are simpler
solutions, or maybe the "query this particular mail-source" operation
is possible but I don't know how to.

Assuming the above, you'd then set up a IMAP split rule to move
message from INBOX.foo into INBOX.foo-to-nnml, and then have a
mail-source that reads from INBOX.foo-to-nnml and a nnml split rule
that moves everything from the INBOX.foo-to-nnml IMAP mail-source into
nnml:foo.