From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: format=flowed flawed?
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:33:57 +0200	[thread overview]

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> This is what a body section looks like in Tin:
>
>>>meldet er sich dort in eienr normalen Session zuerst mit dem 'Helo' an,
>>>es folgt die Antowrt des Servers ('250-...'), danach kommt ein 'Mail
>>>From: rolandwolters@web.de' und ein 'Rcpt To: soundos@xyz.de'.
>>
>> Wenn das so kommt, sind Mailclient und Mailservern kaputt.
>>
>> 1. die spitzen Klammern in MAIL FROM und RCPT TO fehlen; und:SPC
>>SPC
>> 2. HELO darf keine mehrzeiligen Antworten der Art 250- nach sich ziehen

To illustrate the encoding, I have added trailing SPC on the last
three lines, when they end with SPC.  As you can see the first and the
second of the three last lines end with SPC.  This indicate they
should be flowed together.

Looking at the parent message, I see it is not flowed.  So I think the
problem is that Roland Wolters's MUA (Mozilla 5.0) incorrectly flows
non-flowed quoted text.  If a message isn't flowed, you shouldn't put
trailing SPC on those lines when composing a flowed followup.

> Besides that, it seems (for a while now) that ^, AR and AT are totally
> hosed, and C-u 50 M-g also behaves in a different way from q C-u 50 RET.

I see the first trouble too.

> I suffered from .newsrc.eld corruption a while back, but can this be the
> root of this AR/AT problem? I get all sorts of errors "This is a
> pseudo-article" or when pressing AT, I see the root of the thread I'm
> looking at, but all leaves in the thread that were visible before disappear.

I don't get any pseudo articles, I just simply doesn't get a parent,
even when there is one.