From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org, David Coe <davidc@debian.org>,
	200823-forwarded@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: gnus: apparently kills external viewers too aggressively
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:25:58 +0200	[thread overview]

> If I close that imagemagick window directly, there's no problem; but
> if I let gnus close it (by, e.g., hitting ENTER again on the
> image/jpeg line in the mail message, or by hitting 'n' to go to the
> the imagemagick ('display') process too aggressively, causing it to
> leave two shared memory segments allocated.
>
> Do this enough times and you eventually run out of swap space.  Even
> after gnus and emacs and X have been successfully stopped, the shared
> memory segments are still there ('ipcs -m' shows them; 'ipcrm -m ...'
> successfully removes them).
>
> Maybe this is a bug in imagemagick, but I suspect gnus is sending it
> SIGKILL instead of SIGTERM, or something to that effect.  I have not
> looked at the source code.
>
> Let me know if you need more info, or if I can help in any way.

Can you strace or gdb display to see what signal it receives?  Or
perhaps simply start display on the command line and see if it leaves
a shared segment around if you SIGKILL or SIGTERM it?

Without knowing much about ipc shared memory segments, I'd say this is
a bug somewhere else.  I think it could be useful to ask the
imagemagick developers.