From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Subject: Re: WIBNI gnus-article-wash-status's result was documented
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:08:39 +0200	[thread overview]

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> I searched the info files, but it appears the only place to find out
> what those letters in the article mode line mean are by reading the
> source.

I added this to the documentation:

    `w'
          The "wash status" of the article.  This is a short string
          with one character for each possible article wash operation
          that may have been performed.  The characters and their
          meaning:

         `c'
               Displayed when cited text is hidden in the article
               buffer.

         `h'
               Displayed when headers are hidden in the article buffer.

         `p'
               Displayed when article is digitally signed or encrypted,
               and Gnus has hidden the security headers.  (N.B. does
               not tell anything about security status, i.e. good or
               bad signature.)

         `s'
               Displayed when the signature has been hidden in the
               Article buffer.

         `o'
               Displayed when Gnus has treated overstrike characters in
               the article buffer.

         `e'
               Displayed when Gnus has treated emphasised strings in
               the article buffer.

> And the source is confusing.  I have all treatment turned on, so I'd
> expect to see the bits for overstrike and emphasis on nearly all
> articles, but they're always blank.  When should they be turned on?
> Also, I get an `h' in there much of the time, presumably because I
> hide boring headers by default.  However, I also hide citations and
> signatures (manually, not by default) but never does the status line
> change.

Try again.