* contrib/ssl.el outdated
@ 2005-12-26 20:58 Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2005-12-26 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

The version of ssl.el in Gnus contrib is older than the version in W3
CVS (<URL:http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/w3/lisp/ssl.el?rev=1.5&
root=w3&view=log>).  In particular, it doesn't redirect stderr of
openssl to /dev/null (which the W3 version does in ssl-get-command).

Of course, ssl.el is completely obsoleted by tls.el since 2005-11-26
now that the latter supports OpenSSL as well (without this bug), but
it might make sense not to distribute outdated code (either by
updating it or removing it).

Magnus

* Re: contrib/ssl.el outdated
@ 2005-12-28 11:35 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-12-28 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Magnus Henoch <mange@freemail.hu> writes:

> The version of ssl.el in Gnus contrib is older than the version in W3
> CVS (<URL:http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/w3/lisp/ssl.el?rev=1.5&
> root=w3&view=log>).  In particular, it doesn't redirect stderr of
> openssl to /dev/null (which the W3 version does in ssl-get-command).
>
> Of course, ssl.el is completely obsoleted by tls.el since 2005-11-26
> now that the latter supports OpenSSL as well (without this bug), but
> it might make sense not to distribute outdated code (either by
> updating it or removing it).

I updated it, and added a note to contrib/README:

ssl.el

        Obsolete interface to OpenSSL.  Completely replaced by
        lisp/tls.el, which supports both GnuTLS and OpenSSL.  This
        file will be removed eventually.

When we get more success reports for tls.el (using various versions of
OpenSSL and GnuTLS), and we are confident that it completely supersede
ssl.el, we could remove ssl.el.

Thanks!