From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: PGG default values
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:13:42 +0100	[thread overview]

"Satyaki Das" <satyakid@stanford.edu> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Looking at my ~/.emacs I (only) have these two:
>>
>>  '(pgg-encrypt-for-me t)
>>  '(pgg-passphrase-cache-expiry 12345678)
>>
>> The defaults are nil and 16 respectively.
>>
>> I think the first one should default to t.  Sending encrypted messages
>> and later discovering you can't read them yourself would be a bad
>> experience.  People that understands enough to worry about a default
>> setting of t will certainly be able to search for the variable in the
>> manual and disable it.  Opinions?
>
> Yes it should default to t. I actually didn't know about the
> option. But I already have some option in ~/.gnupg/options that
> does the equivalent.

I have made the change.

I'm not sure the implementation is perfect though, it looks like:

	   (if recipients
	       (apply #'nconc
		      (mapcar (lambda (rcpt)
				(list "--remote-user" rcpt))
			      (append recipients
				      (if pgg-encrypt-for-me
					  (list pgg-gpg-user-id)))))))))

Arguable --encrypt-to should be used for the encrypt-for-me user.
--remote-user is not documented in 'gpg --help', so I'm not sure what
the semantics of it is.

>> For the second one, I think 16 seconds is a rather pointless cache
>> (maybe only to fix the extra invocation of gpg for GCC).  But I don't
>> know what a good default would be.  An hour?  A workday?  Opinions?
>
> Personally I have it set to 1000000. But the paranoid among us
> will prefer a smaller value. I would say something of the order of
> 10 minutes shouldn't be too bad.

On the other hand, of all users, it is the paranoids that is more
likely to actually read the manual or the source code.  So they would
find the variable and could frob it to whatever setting they prefer,
So we'd might as well have a default value that makes things enjoyable
for the majority of users.  (Assuming the majority of Gnus users are
non-paranoids...)

Anyone knows what KMail, mutt, Mozilla etc do?