* [Hamish Macdonald <hamishmac@home.com>] nnimap complaining about invalid UID
@ 2001-07-05  0:40 Hamish Macdonald
From: Hamish Macdonald @ 2001-07-05  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I sent this message about a month ago...  Never got a reply.
Wondering if it was missed or it is just that nobody cares :-)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2464 bytes --]

From: Hamish Macdonald <hamishmac@home.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: nnimap complaining about invalid UID
Date: 05 Jun 2001 20:52:53 -0400

I'm currently using the following imap server:

   * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN]
     localhost.localdomain IMAP4rev1 2000.283mdk at Tue, 5 Jun 2001
     20:44:00 -0400 (EDT)

This is in Linux-Mandrake 8.0.  Here is the info from the RPM.

    Name        : imap                         Relocations: (not relocateable)
    Version     : 2000                              Vendor: MandrakeSoft
    Release     : 6mdk                          Build Date: Thu 15 Mar 2001 06:06:20 AM EST
    Install date: Sun 13 May 2001 11:49:20 AM EDT      Build Host: bi.mandrakesoft.com
    Group       : System/Servers                Source RPM: imap-2000-6mdk.src.rpm
    Size        : 4293815                          License: BSD
    Packager    : Giuseppe Ghibò <ghibo@mandrakesoft.com>
    URL         : http://www.washington.edu/imap/
    Summary     : Server daemons for IMAP and POP network mail protocols.
    Description :
    The imap package provides server daemons for both the IMAP (Internet
    Message Access Protocol) and POP (Post Office Protocol) mail access
    protocols.  The POP protocol uses a "post office" machine to collect mail
    for users and allows users to download their mail to their local machine
    for reading. The IMAP protocol provides the functionality of POP, but
    allows a user to read mail on a remote machine without downloading it to
    their local machine.

    Install the imap package if you need a server to support the IMAP or the
    POP mail access protocols.

My imap-split rule empties my INBOX for me.  The mail is delivered to
the INBOX using procmail.

It seems that the IMAP server truncates the INBOX to zero-length
when it is emptied by gnus.

The next time I get mail gnus gives me the:
  nnimap: Group INBOX is not uidvalid.  Continue?

It is a pain.  Can this be fixed?

Thanks,
 Hamish.

* Re: [Hamish Macdonald <hamishmac@home.com>] nnimap complaining about invalid UID
@ 2001-07-06 18:03 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-07-06 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hamish Macdonald <hamishmac@home.com> writes:

> I sent this message about a month ago...  Never got a reply.
> Wondering if it was missed or it is just that nobody cares :-)

Since we're in alpha stage, I'm committing the simple fix of simply
removing the `error' to see if something actually breaks.  All things
I can think of that could go wrong when UIDVALIDITY changes [1] should
be OK, but I may be wrong.

>From a design point of view, a backend cannot make that assumption
because backends should be possible to use by other applications than
Gnus...

[1]: nnimap's NOV cache file and the flag article numbers.