* tnef attachments
@ 2000-05-01 15:49 Pavel Janík ml.
From: Pavel Janík ml. @ 2000-05-01 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

hey, I do not like these funny attachments too, but for you who can not live
without them, have a look at freshmeat (http://www.freshmeat.net/) for
software named tnef. It can parse them. Maybe someone also implement support
for them in elisp.
--
Pavel Janík ml.
Pavel.Janik@inet.cz

* Re: tnef attachments
@ 2000-05-01 19:56 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-05-01 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel.Janik@inet.cz (Pavel Janík ml.) writes:

> Hi,
>
> hey, I do not like these funny attachments too, but for you who can not live
> without them, have a look at freshmeat (http://www.freshmeat.net/) for
> software named tnef. It can parse them. Maybe someone also implement support
> for them in elisp.

Just put

application/ms-tnef; tnef2txt %s; copiousoutput

in your ~/.mailcap and it should work (ie you can browse the nonsense
information usually stored in tnef attachments).

Attachment extraction aren't automatic though, perhaps a tnef-mode
similar to tar-mode could be written?  I've only received one of
theese, so I guess they are rare anyway.

* Re: tnef attachments
@ 2000-05-01 20:48   ` Pavel Janík ml.
From: Pavel Janík ml. @ 2000-05-01 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se>
   Date: 01 May 2000 21:56:38 +0200

Hi,

   > application/ms-tnef; tnef2txt %s; copiousoutput
   >
   > in your ~/.mailcap and it should work (ie you can browse the nonsense
   > information usually stored in tnef attachments).

yes, I know this, but I can not test it because these crappy mime types are
already in the gnus-ignored-mime-types :-)

   > Attachment extraction aren't automatic though, perhaps a tnef-mode
   > similar to tar-mode could be written?  I've only received one of
   > theese, so I guess they are rare anyway.

I can not see them in Emacs, but when I'm on different machines then I'm
administering (so there is no Emacs) I must often read mail with mutt & co so
I see them often. And believe me that there are people who send files inside
of ms-tnef :-(((
--
Pavel Janík ml.
Pavel.Janik@inet.cz