* Moving articles with IMAP
@ 1999-11-07 21:26 Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 1999-11-07 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here I am again, going bump in the night.  I just tried moving a
message from one IMAP folder to another using `B m'.  This didn't
work.  I got a message that said that the message (identified by
number) could not be moved.  Then a new bogus server was created for
the group into which I had tried to move the message, and that group
could no longer be selected.  I got an error message that said "this
should not happen".  That sounds like the imap dwarf that dwells in
gnus is being very unhappy about his circumstances.  What's bugging
the little guy? Exiting gnus and emacs and restarting seemed to
restore his normally jovial disposition.

Ok, so how do I move a message from one imap folder to another while
keeping the imap dwarf happily going hippity hop?

Also, why is it that I have these large and ever increasing buffers
called *nnimap-debug* and *imap-log*?  I can imagine that these could
be useful to our much beloved imap mechanics, but I'm just the driver,
and I stay at the wheel for, like, decades at a time.  I don't want my
emacs-mobile to undergo gravitational collapse, especially while I'm
sitting in it.

Cheers,

--
Dr. Denys Duchier			Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de
Forschungsbereich Programmiersysteme	(Programming Systems Lab)

* Re: Moving articles with IMAP
@ 1999-11-07 22:08 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-11-07 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Denys Duchier <Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:

> Here I am again, going bump in the night.

Thanks for still being with us. :-)

> I just tried moving a message from one IMAP folder to another using
> `B m'.  This didn't work.  I got a message that said that the
> message (identified by number) could not be moved.

What was the exact error message? Did it contain a reason?  Nnimap
uses `nnheader-report' to report IMAP server errors.

> Then a new bogus server was created for the group into which I had
> tried to move the message, and that group could no longer be
> selected.

I think it's best to solve this bogus server problem first, it might
be the cause of the other problems you're having.

> I got an error message that said "this should not happen".  That
> sounds like the imap dwarf that dwells in gnus is being very unhappy
> about his circumstances.  What's bugging the little guy?

I've fixed it in pGnus CVS (changelog below). I think the check
whether the error should be signaled or not was wrong.

> Also, why is it that I have these large and ever increasing buffers
> called *nnimap-debug* and *imap-log*?

Debug stuff, I've disabled it. When trying to debug the article move
problem, it might be a good idea to set `imap-log' to "*imap-log*" (or
something) to re-enable it.

1999-11-07  Simon Josefsson  <jas@pdc.kth.se>

	* nnimap.el (nnimap-open-server): Remove error signal if
	nnimap-server-buffer is nil (the check should've been `boundp').

	* imap.el (imap-log):
	* nnimap.el (nnimap-debug): Disable debugging by default.