* netrc trouble: conflict between Gnus and Emacs version
@ 2004-11-20 16:46 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-11-20 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Emacs from CVS and Gnus from CVS.  I have the following code in
~/.emacs to set up load-path and suchlike:

;; Gnus
(when (file-directory-p "~/work/gnu/gnus/")
  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/work/gnu/gnus/lisp/")
  (require 'gnus-load)
  (require 'gnus-namazu "../contrib/gnus-namazu")
  (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/work/gnu/gnus/texi/"))

Further Gnus configuration is in ~/.gnus.

I recently had to add (load "netrc") to the beginning of that file to
make things work.

I think a similar issue was discussed in the thread "Problems with
reading mail via imap".

Shouldn't gnus-load arrange for the right netrc to be loaded?

[time passes]

Ah!  It turns out that I require dired and dired-x earlier on in my
~/.emacs file.  Never thought that those would interfere.

So is it pilot error after all?

Kai

* Re: netrc trouble: conflict between Gnus and Emacs version
@ 2004-11-20 22:56 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-11-20 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> I use Emacs from CVS and Gnus from CVS.  I have the following code in
> ~/.emacs to set up load-path and suchlike:
>
> ;; Gnus
> (when (file-directory-p "~/work/gnu/gnus/")
>   (add-to-list 'load-path "~/work/gnu/gnus/lisp/")
>   (require 'gnus-load)
>   (require 'gnus-namazu "../contrib/gnus-namazu")
>   (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/work/gnu/gnus/texi/"))
>
> Further Gnus configuration is in ~/.gnus.
>
> I recently had to add (load "netrc") to the beginning of that file to
> make things work.
>
> I think a similar issue was discussed in the thread "Problems with
> reading mail via imap".
>
> Shouldn't gnus-load arrange for the right netrc to be loaded?
>
> [time passes]
>
> Ah!  It turns out that I require dired and dired-x earlier on in my
> ~/.emacs file.  Never thought that those would interfere.

Are you saying that dired end up loading (the wrong) netrc.el?

I guess one should modify load-path before loading anything.