* NNTP marks code breaks .newsrc
@ 2004-07-09  9:53 Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2004-07-09  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear reader,

I am at a loss now.

I want to use Gnus locally and Tin over ssh when off-site, which has
worked well up to what I get with cvs -D2004-05-13 update.

Since cvs -D2004-05-14 update, this no longer works, Gnus doesn't notice
when the .newsrc file has marked articles as read.

I've put (setq nntp-marks-is-evil t) in .gnus, quit emacs, removed
News/marks and its contents, started Gnus, checked it has
nntp-marks-is-evil set to t (it does) - doesn't help, Gnus still doesn't
care for .newsrc.

I install Gnus as of 2004-05-13, articles read in Tin are marked read in
Gnus without further ado. I install Gnus as of 2004-05-14, only articles
read in Gnus are marked read. I switch back to 2004-05-13, they are
hidden from view again.

The NNTP-marks code appears to shadow some .newsrc stuff.

Any help will be appreciated,

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)

* Re: NNTP marks code breaks .newsrc
@ 2004-07-09 10:33 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-07-09 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Dear reader,
>
> I am at a loss now.
>
> I want to use Gnus locally and Tin over ssh when off-site, which has
> worked well up to what I get with cvs -D2004-05-13 update.
>
> Since cvs -D2004-05-14 update, this no longer works, Gnus doesn't notice
> when the .newsrc file has marked articles as read.
>
> I've put (setq nntp-marks-is-evil t) in .gnus, quit emacs, removed
> News/marks and its contents, started Gnus, checked it has
> nntp-marks-is-evil set to t (it does) - doesn't help, Gnus still doesn't
> care for .newsrc.
>
> I install Gnus as of 2004-05-13, articles read in Tin are marked read in
> Gnus without further ado. I install Gnus as of 2004-05-14, only articles
> read in Gnus are marked read. I switch back to 2004-05-13, they are
> hidden from view again.
>
> The NNTP-marks code appears to shadow some .newsrc stuff.
>
> Any help will be appreciated,

Does (setq gnus-agent-synchronize-flags 'ask) help?

I have now reverted the default from nil to 'ask in CVS, seems like
many people have reported this problem, and as far as I can tell,
nobody explained why nil is better.

* Re: NNTP marks code breaks .newsrc
@ 2004-07-09 12:10   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2004-07-09 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> Any help will be appreciated,
>
> Does (setq gnus-agent-synchronize-flags 'ask) help?

It does indeed help.

I wonder however why a binary search across Gnus versions let me end up
with Kai's nntp-marks diff though and how the nntp-marks code relates to
gnus-agent synchronization stuff.

> I have now reverted the default from nil to 'ask in CVS, seems like
> many people have reported this problem, and as far as I can tell,
> nobody explained why nil is better.

Thanks a bunch.

--

@ 2004-07-09 12:43     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-07-09 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>>> Any help will be appreciated,
>>
>> Does (setq gnus-agent-synchronize-flags 'ask) help?
>
> It does indeed help.
>
> I wonder however why a binary search across Gnus versions let me end up
> with Kai's nntp-marks diff though and how the nntp-marks code relates to
> gnus-agent synchronization stuff.

Without the nntp-marks stuff, nntp wouldn't use the agent for marks,
so the gnus-agent setting was irrelevant.  When the nntp-marks stuff
was added, the gnus-agent setting become relevant, but the bug isn't
with the nntp-marks code but the gnus-agent setting.

* Re: NNTP marks code breaks .newsrc
@ 2004-07-12  9:54       ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2004-07-12  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
>> I wonder however why a binary search across Gnus versions let me end up
>> with Kai's nntp-marks diff though and how the nntp-marks code relates to
>> gnus-agent synchronization stuff.
>
> Without the nntp-marks stuff, nntp wouldn't use the agent for marks,
> so the gnus-agent setting was irrelevant.  When the nntp-marks stuff
> was added, the gnus-agent setting become relevant, but the bug isn't
> with the nntp-marks code but the gnus-agent setting.

That explains a lot. Thanks!