* WIBNI gnus-article-wash-status's result was documented
@ 2001-10-12 15:11 David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2001-10-12 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I searched the info files, but it appears the only place to find out
what those letters in the article mode line mean are by reading the
source.  And the source is confusing.  I have all treatment turned on,
so I'd expect to see the bits for overstrike and emphasis on nearly
all articles, but they're always blank.  When should they be turned
on?  Also, I get an `h' in there much of the time, presumably because
I hide boring headers by default.  However, I also hide citations and
signatures (manually, not by default) but never does the status line
change.
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: WIBNI gnus-article-wash-status's result was documented
@ 2001-10-12 17:08 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-10-12 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> I searched the info files, but it appears the only place to find out
> what those letters in the article mode line mean are by reading the
> source.

I added this to the documentation:

    `w'
          The "wash status" of the article.  This is a short string
          with one character for each possible article wash operation
          that may have been performed.  The characters and their
          meaning:

         `c'
               Displayed when cited text is hidden in the article
               buffer.

         `h'
               Displayed when headers are hidden in the article buffer.

         `p'
               Displayed when article is digitally signed or encrypted,
               and Gnus has hidden the security headers.  (N.B. does
               not tell anything about security status, i.e. good or
               bad signature.)

         `s'
               Displayed when the signature has been hidden in the
               Article buffer.

         `o'
               Displayed when Gnus has treated overstrike characters in
               the article buffer.

         `e'
               Displayed when Gnus has treated emphasised strings in
               the article buffer.

> And the source is confusing.  I have all treatment turned on, so I'd
> expect to see the bits for overstrike and emphasis on nearly all
> articles, but they're always blank.  When should they be turned on?
> Also, I get an `h' in there much of the time, presumably because I
> hide boring headers by default.  However, I also hide citations and
> signatures (manually, not by default) but never does the status line
> change.

Try again.

* Re: WIBNI gnus-article-wash-status's result was documented
@ 2001-10-12 17:37   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2001-10-12 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I see the documentation now, thanks.  I also see the proper status
flags when an article has had emphasis applied.  But I only see the
flags for hidden citation or signature if I set
gnus-treat-hide-citation or gnus-treat-hide-signature to t.  If I hide
them manually the flags aren't shown.  Also, if I set signatures to be
hidden by default, unhiding the signature doesn't properly result in
the flag turning off as it does with citation.

Thanks,
--

@ 2001-10-12 18:56     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-10-12 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> But I only see the flags for hidden citation or signature if I set
> gnus-treat-hide-citation or gnus-treat-hide-signature to t.  If I
> hide them manually the flags aren't shown.  Also, if I set
> signatures to be hidden by default, unhiding the signature doesn't
> properly result in the flag turning off as it does with citation.

Better now?  Citations aren't perfect though.  The problem is that
once `c' is added, it never goes away.  This is because the
(un)folding of citations seems rather nondetermistic, so you can get
into situations where you have unfolded all citations but it really
isn't to tell.  Hence:

         `c'
               Displayed when cited text may be hidden in the article
               buffer.
                                         ^^^^^^

I hope this is good enough.  (I guess patches are welcome if someone
wants to clean it up.)