* cannot get ALL articles in a group
@ 2001-09-25 13:07 Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 2001-09-25 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just discovered that there is a group on our server for which I
cannot convince Gnus to fetch all the articles (already read, some
ticked).  I can do it just fine by telneting directly to the nntp
port.

I tried using number prefixes to no avail.  I don't even know what
info to provide to track down the problem.  I was running an old CVS
version: I tried updating from the CVS again, but nothing changed.

Any advice?

--
Dr. Denys Duchier			Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de
Forschungsbereich Programmiersysteme	(Programming Systems Lab)

* cannot get ALL articles in a group
@ 2001-09-25 14:30 ` Michael.Cook
From: Michael.Cook @ 2001-09-25 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Denys Duchier <Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:

> I just discovered that there is a group on our server for which I
> cannot convince Gnus to fetch all the articles (already read, some
> ticked).  I can do it just fine by telneting directly to the nntp
> port.
>
> I tried using number prefixes to no avail.  I don't even know what
> info to provide to track down the problem.  I was running an old CVS
> version: I tried updating from the CVS again, but nothing changed.
>
> Any advice?

i reported an apparent bug recently related to ~/Mail/active not
being updated properly (the "lower bound" number is too high
sometimes).  i haven't had an opportunity to look into it further
yet, but if that problem is the problem you're seeing, then you
should be able to work around the problem by editing ~/Mail/active.
find the line of the group in question.
it'll be something like this:

bulk.ding 23172 21207 y

change the second number to something smaller:

bulk.ding 23172 1 y

m.

* Re: cannot get ALL articles in a group
@ 2001-09-25 16:01   ` Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 2001-09-25 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael.Cook@cisco.com writes:

> Denys Duchier <Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:
>
>> I just discovered that there is a group on our server for which I
>> cannot convince Gnus to fetch all the articles (already read, some
>> ticked).
>> [...]
>> Any advice?
>
> i reported an apparent bug recently related to ~/Mail/active not
> being updated properly (the "lower bound" number is too high
> sometimes).

This is for a news group, not a mail group.  It doesn't appear in
Mail/active.  Any other guesses?  This is kind of important, since we
use these groups for archival and at the moment I cannot access old
threads through Gnus.

Cheers,

--

@ 2001-09-25 17:22     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-09-25 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Denys Duchier <Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:

> Michael.Cook@cisco.com writes:
>
>> Denys Duchier <Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:
>>
>>> I just discovered that there is a group on our server for which I
>>> cannot convince Gnus to fetch all the articles (already read, some
>>> ticked).
>>> [...]
>>> Any advice?
>>
>> i reported an apparent bug recently related to ~/Mail/active not
>> being updated properly (the "lower bound" number is too high
>> sometimes).
>
> This is for a news group, not a mail group.  It doesn't appear in
> Mail/active.  Any other guesses?  This is kind of important, since we
> use these groups for archival and at the moment I cannot access old
> threads through Gnus.

Maybe the news servers' active information is b0rked?

* Re: cannot get ALL articles in a group
@ 2001-09-25 17:27 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-25 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Denys Duchier <Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:

> I just discovered that there is a group on our server for which I
> cannot convince Gnus to fetch all the articles (already read, some
> ticked).  I can do it just fine by telneting directly to the nntp
> port.

What kind of server is that?  nntp or nnimap?

What happens when you C-u RET to enter the group?  If there is an
error message, please do M-1 M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET, enter the
group, show us the resulting backtrace.

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Re: cannot get ALL articles in a group
@ 2001-09-25 17:34       ` Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 2001-09-25 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe the news servers' active information is b0rked?

yes, that was it! thanks! I know, where to complain now :-)

Cheers,