* imap articles loosing marks
@ 2002-11-17 20:53 Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 2002-11-17 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since my last problem was so easily fixed, here is the next one:

somehow, on my primary imap mail server (ssl connection), articles
have started to somehow occasionally forget their marks, like whether
I have already seen them or whether I ticked them.  Sometimes, I have
to go back several time into the same folder to make it stick; and I
keep my fingers crossed that these marks will still be there in a few
minutes.

Has anybody experienced something similar?

--Denys

* Re: imap articles loosing marks
@ 2002-11-18  8:44 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-11-18  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Denys Duchier <duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:

> Since my last problem was so easily fixed, here is the next one:
>
> somehow, on my primary imap mail server (ssl connection), articles
> have started to somehow occasionally forget their marks, like whether
> I have already seen them or whether I ticked them.  Sometimes, I have
> to go back several time into the same folder to make it stick; and I
> keep my fingers crossed that these marks will still be there in a few
> minutes.
>
> Has anybody experienced something similar?

Do you move an article (possibly even copy) from the group in the same
summary buffer?  That is a known Oort bug introduced in nnimap.el some
time ago.  If this isn't it, quote the relevant *imap-log* stuff.

* Re: imap articles loosing marks
@ 2002-11-18 18:58   ` Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 2002-11-18 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do you move an article (possibly even copy) from the group in the same
> summary buffer?  That is a known Oort bug introduced in nnimap.el some
> time ago.  If this isn't it, quote the relevant *imap-log* stuff.

it never happens when you're looking, and of course the first time
you're not prepared, there it goes again.  Right now here is what
happened: I entered a folder with 2 (I think) articles, read them and
manually marked them expunged and then invoked expunge, then I left
the folder and my Group buffer was suddenly updated to show 4 unread
messages in the folder I just left, I tried to reenter, but it
discovered that all had been read and updated the Group buffer again.

How do I properly enable *imap-log*?  I ask just in case there is a
non trivial trick that one has to know.

Cheers,

@ 2002-11-18 19:11     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-11-18 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Denys Duchier <duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Do you move an article (possibly even copy) from the group in the same
>> summary buffer?  That is a known Oort bug introduced in nnimap.el some
>> time ago.  If this isn't it, quote the relevant *imap-log* stuff.
>
> it never happens when you're looking, and of course the first time
> you're not prepared, there it goes again.  Right now here is what
> happened: I entered a folder with 2 (I think) articles, read them and
> manually marked them expunged and then invoked expunge, then I left
> the folder and my Group buffer was suddenly updated to show 4 unread
> messages in the folder I just left, I tried to reenter, but it
> discovered that all had been read and updated the Group buffer again.

That sounds like the regular unread-count-is-just-an-estimate problem?
Was any article marks really lost?  The unread article estimate will
often be wrong when the number of existing articles in the group has
been changed, like when some articles are expired.

> How do I properly enable *imap-log*?  I ask just in case there is a
> non trivial trick that one has to know.

M-x customize-variable RET imap-log RET

* Re: imap articles loosing marks
@ 2002-11-18 19:38       ` Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 2002-11-18 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> That sounds like the regular unread-count-is-just-an-estimate problem?
> Was any article marks really lost?  The unread article estimate will
> often be wrong when the number of existing articles in the group has
> been changed, like when some articles are expired.

In this particular case, no mark was lost (unlike the other case I
reported earlier).  However, this estimate being wrong on _leaving_
the imap folder (after reading all articles) has never happened to me
before (that should mean something, since I was one of your very first
customers :-).

> M-x customize-variable RET imap-log RET

OK. I am setting this on.

@ 2002-11-21 21:20       ` Jeff Senn
From: Jeff Senn @ 2002-11-21 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Denys Duchier <duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:
>
>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Do you move an article (possibly even copy) from the group in the same
>>> summary buffer?  That is a known Oort bug introduced in nnimap.el some
>>> time ago.  If this isn't it, quote the relevant *imap-log* stuff.

Hm.. I see this as well.  Yes it tends to happen after moving/copying
a message from the group.  Yes, I lose marks.  (Hitting M-G in the group
to refresh before exiting the group seems to correct the problem).

Is this a known bug? Anything I can do to help lead to a fix??

--
-Jas   --------------------     www.maya.com
       Jeff Senn          |   / / |-/ \ / /|®