* Expiry
@ 1999-09-27 18:52 Adam Kornick
From: Adam Kornick @ 1999-09-27 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been attempting to automagically delete old messages from
mailing lists that I read with pgnus 0.97.  I have edited the group
parameter buffer (`G p') as follows.

---
;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnfolder:gnus'.
;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.

((auto-expiry t)
 (total-expiry t))
---

However, read articles are not automatically marked as expired, and
read articles are not expired, so it seems that neither variable
setting is having an affect.  Clearly I either do not understand
expiration or have made an obvious mistake or both.  Anybody who can
help me set up expiry to remove read messages without marking them by
hand as expirable, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

--
Adam Kornick
Coastal Engineer

* Re: Expiry
@ 1999-09-27 19:13 ` Toni Drabik
From: Toni Drabik @ 1999-09-27 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Kornick <akornick@whgrp.com> writes:

> I have been attempting to automagically delete old messages from
> mailing lists that I read with pgnus 0.97.  I have edited the group
> parameter buffer (`G p') as follows.
>
> ---
> ;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnfolder:gnus'.
> ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
>
> ((auto-expiry t)
>  (total-expiry t))
> ---

First of all, correct parameters are `auto-expire' and `total-expire',
not `auto-expiry' and `total-expiry'. Second, I beleive that total
expire and auto expire cannot coexist in the same group. You have to
decide on one and stick with it. I use total expire, since it's
simpler and works well with adaptive scoring.

For example, my group parameters for ding list look like this:

((to-address . "ding@gnus.org")
 (total-expire . t)
 (expiry-wait . 28))

Expiring mail is in details explained in Gnus info file (under
``Select Methods'' -> ``Getting Mail'' -> ``Expiring Mail'' node) and
also discussed in Kai's mail tutorial at <URL:ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-do
rtmund.de/pub/src/emacs/tutorials/>.

--
Toni Drabik <tdrabik@public.srce.hr>
Warning: This article may be fatal if swallowed.

* Re: Expiry
@ 1999-09-27 19:19 ` Jody Klymak
From: Jody Klymak @ 1999-09-27 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi Adam,

I'm no wiz on these things, but is it correct to set both auto-expiry
and total-expiry to t?  I bet you really should only use one or the
other.  I personally use total-expiry, with a seven day grace pesiod
on mailing lists and no expiry on personal mail.  So for this mailing
list I have

;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnimap+kraken:mail/ZIn.xemacs-nt'.
;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.

((uidvalidity . "936820603")
 (total-expire . t)
 (expiry-wait . 7.0))

i.e. nothing newer than seven days is expired.

While for my personal mail boxes I have

((uidvalidity . "902853515")
 (visible . t))

So nothing is expired unless I explicitly set it so.  I also set d to
equal E since it makes more sense to me - in my .gnus:

;; remap d to E
(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "d" 'gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable)

Stuff I want to expire gets a "d", stuff I want to keep seeing gets a
"!", and stuff I want to keep, but not see all the time gets no
action.  Of course, this means I have to do a little cleaning in my
personal mailbox once in a while, but thats OK.

Hope this is of help,

Jody

    AMK> I have been attempting to automagically delete old messages
    AMK> from mailing lists that I read with pgnus 0.97.  I have
    AMK> edited the group parameter buffer (`G p') as follows.

    AMK> --- ;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnfolder:gnus'.  ;;
    AMK> Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.

    AMK> ((auto-expiry t) (total-expiry t)) ---

    AMK> However, read articles are not automatically marked as
    AMK> expired, and read articles are not expired, so it seems that
    AMK> neither variable setting is having an affect.  Clearly I
    AMK> either do not understand expiration or have made an obvious
    AMK> mistake or both.  Anybody who can help me set up expiry to
    AMK> remove read messages without marking them by hand as
    AMK> expirable, I would appreciate your help.

    AMK> Thanks,

    AMK> -- Adam Kornick Coastal Engineer Woods Hole Group

--
Jody Klymak                         APL/School of Oceanography,
Doctoral Candidate                  University of Washington

* Re: Expiry
@ 1999-09-27 19:30   ` Toni Drabik
From: Toni Drabik @ 1999-09-27 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jody Klymak <jklymak@apl.washington.edu> writes:

> Hi Adam,
>
> I'm no wiz on these things, but is it correct to set both
> auto-expiry and total-expiry to t? I bet you really should only use
> one or the other. I personally use total-expiry, with a seven day
> grace pesiod on mailing lists and no expiry on personal mail. So for
> this mailing list I have

[...]

> So nothing is expired unless I explicitly set it so. I also set d to
> equal E since it makes more sense to me - in my .gnus:
>
> ;; remap d to E
> (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "d" 'gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable)

Is this really necessary, since you are using only total-expire and
not auto-expire? Those `E' marks mean something only in auto-expire
enabled groups, I believe.

--

@ 1999-09-27 21:05   ` Adam Kornick
From: Adam Kornick @ 1999-09-27 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Adam Kornick, Toni Drabik

    [snip]

    Toni> First of all, correct parameters are `auto-expire' and
    Toni> `total-expire', not `auto-expiry' and `total-expiry'.

    [snip]

    Toni> Expiring mail is in details explained in Gnus info file
    Toni> (under ``Select Methods'' -> ``Getting Mail'' -> ``Expiring
    Toni> Mail'' node) and also discussed in Kai's mail tutorial at
    Toni> <URL:ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-do
    Toni> rtmund.de/pub/src/emacs/tutorials/>.

Toni,

You were dead on.  Solution works like a charm.  The problem is in the
manual (excerpted below)...

File: gnus,  Node: Group Parameters,  Next: Listing Groups,  Prev: Foreign Groups,  Up: The Group Buffer

Group Parameters
================

   The group parameters store information local to a particular group:

[snip]

   Use the `G p' command to edit group parameters of a group.

   Also *note Topic Parameters::..

   Here's an example group parameter list:

     ((to-address . "ding@gnus.org")
      (auto-expiry . t))       <-------note the use of auto-expiry
                                       instead of auto-expire

Thanks,

AK

* Re: Expiry
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-27 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Kornick <akornick@whgrp.com> writes:

> You were dead on.  Solution works like a charm.  The problem is in the
> manual (excerpted below)...

This looks like it's fixed in newer manuals...

* Re: Expiry
@ 1999-09-27 22:25     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-09-27 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Toni Drabik <tdrabik@public.srce.hr> writes:

> Is this really necessary, since you are using only total-expire and
> not auto-expire? Those `E' marks mean something only in auto-expire
> enabled groups, I believe.

The `E' mark means the same thing in _all_ groups, regardless of
auto-expire and total-expire.  But if total-expire is on, `E' is the
same as `r', so it's a bit pointless...

Please note that auto-expire doesn't have anything to do with it at
all.  Auto-expire means that Gnus hits `E' for you automatically, no
more and no less.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Expiry
@ 1999-09-28  2:29     ` Jody Klymak
From: Jody Klymak @ 1999-09-28  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Oops, I sent this to to Tony, but meant to send it to the list

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2109 bytes --]

From: Jody Klymak <jklymak@apl.washington.edu>
To: Toni Drabik <tdrabik@public.srce.hr>
Subject: Re: Expiry
Date: 27 Sep 1999 12:42:55 -0700

Hi Toni,

    Toni> Jody Klymak <jklymak@apl.washington.edu> writes:
    >> Hi Adam,
    >>
    >> I'm no wiz on these things, but is it correct to set both
    >> auto-expiry and total-expiry to t? I bet you really should only
    >> use one or the other. I personally use total-expiry, with a
    >> seven day grace pesiod on mailing lists and no expiry on
    >> personal mail. So for this mailing list I have

    Toni> [...]

    >> So nothing is expired unless I explicitly set it so. I also set
    >> d to equal E since it makes more sense to me - in my .gnus:
    >>
    >> ;; remap d to E (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "d"
    >> 'gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable)

    Toni> Is this really necessary, since you are using only
    Toni> total-expire and not auto-expire? Those `E' marks mean
    Toni> something only in auto-expire enabled groups, I believe.

I don't use it in the total-expire groups - only in my personal mail
boxes where I have no expiry.

Umm, well, no, actually I take that back - I use expiry on the mailing
lists as part of my adaptive scoring - expired messages get scored
lower than ones that are simply read (I have scoring turned off for my
personal email).

Cheers,  Jody