From: "Steven E. Harris" <seh@panix.com>
Subject: Re: nnimap problem solved by removing .agentview and .overview
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:26:56 -0700	[thread overview]

> I'm not completely sure, but there might be a problem with your
> workflow.

[...]

> In other words, you need to sync .overview too.

That would be easy, if we know that it's the correct solution.

> You may need to sync .agentview as well, but then again you might
> need to _not_ sync .agentview.
>
> In the worst case, there is some information in .agentview that need
> to be rsync'ed and some information that need to not be rsync'ed.  If
> so, we should probably try to separate the data that is local state,
> i.e. cache directory, from the .newsrc state data.

Yes, that would be a good way to go, as we often hear of people trying
to figure out how to use Gnus from different locations and keep a
fairly consistent view of their message and server data.

> Perhaps you need to take a step back to solve this:
>
> Exactly why are you syncing .newsrc* at all?

It's not just IMAP. My NNTP ranges are in there, so I need those to be
consistent between work and home. Perhaps those should be split out
into per-server .newsrc files. I can't remember how to get Gnus to
split that stuff out, and I don't know if it works properly.

Can you recommend an arrangement that would let me maintain state for
two NNTP servers (at present, Panix and Gmane) but would not require
shipping .newsrc and .newsrc.eld around?

> Messages flags are supposed to be synchronized via the IMAP server,
> so there's no need to synchronize the files for them.

Yes, I agree.

> Most other data that is stored in .newsrc.eld can be stored in
> .emacs or .gnus.

I do have all my settings in .gnus or other configuration files that
it loads in turn.

> The only major thing, that I recall, is that Topics structures can't
> be defined except by via .newsrc.eld.

Right. I had forgotten about that one, but now I recall occasionally
having to go into .newsrc.eld to fix topic tree problems manually.

> Getting rid of .newsrc.eld would be nice.  Move all setup related
> things to .gnus, and all state data into ~/News or wherever they
> belong.

Let's say that my topics were stable for now. Is there some way I
could rearrange my .newsrc* files with current functionality in Gnus
that would let me synchronize ranges for my NNTP servers, but not for
my IMAP servers?

--
Steven E. Harris