* regenerating agent overview
@ 2005-01-27 18:06 Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2005-01-27 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sometimes, in some of my nnimap groups, I delete messages via my web email
access from home.

This causes the agent overview, stored in
~/News/agent/nnimap/<hostname>/INBOX/.overview, to go out of sync with the
actual database.

If I attempt to view one of the zombie messages, Gnus complains that the
message is missing from the server.

One way to fix this is to exit the group, delete the .overview file, and
re-enter the group.

But there should be an easier way -- can't I simply regenerate the agent
overview from the *Summary* buffer?

Ted
--
 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal
 (The Paleontological Society motto, equally apropos for debugging)

* Re: regenerating agent overview
@ 2005-01-27 18:36 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-01-27 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ted Stern <stern+gnus@cray.com> writes:

> Sometimes, in some of my nnimap groups, I delete messages via my web email
> access from home.
>
> This causes the agent overview, stored in
> ~/News/agent/nnimap/<hostname>/INBOX/.overview, to go out of sync with the
> actual database.
>
> If I attempt to view one of the zombie messages, Gnus complains that the
> message is missing from the server.
>
> One way to fix this is to exit the group, delete the .overview file, and
> re-enter the group.
>
> But there should be an easier way -- can't I simply regenerate the agent
> overview from the *Summary* buffer?

Me too!

Further, perhaps Gnus could fix .overview when it complains that the
article is missing from the server, so that in any case the error only
happen once.

* Re: regenerating agent overview
@ 2005-01-27 19:41 ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2005-01-27 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Stern <stern+gnus@cray.com> writes:

> One way to fix this is to exit the group, delete the .overview file,
> and re-enter the group.

You can also try gnus-agent-expire-group, though admittedly that's not
much more elegant. It's a hack I use in similar situations.

--
Steven E. Harris