* to-list
@ 1996-01-07  2:28 David K}gedal
From: David K}gedal @ 1996-01-07  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could someone who understand what this group parameter does write a
better explanation, that explains what it does, and in what way it
differs from to-address, and when it should be used.

`to-list'
     If the group parameter list has an element that looks like
     `(to-list . "some@where.com")', that address will be used when
     doing a `a' in any group.  It is totally ignored when doing a
     followup--except that if it is present in a news group, you'll get
     mail group semantics when doing `f'.

--
David Kågedal     Lysator Academic Computer Society       davidk@lysator.liu.se
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/                              +46-13 17 65 89

* Re: to-list
@ 1996-01-10 18:39 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-10 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

David K}gedal <davidk@lysator.liu.se> writes:

> Could someone who understand what this group parameter does write a
> better explanation, that explains what it does, and in what way it
> differs from to-address, and when it should be used.
>
> `to-list'
>      If the group parameter list has an element that looks like
>      `(to-list . "some@where.com")', that address will be used when
>      doing a `a' in any group.  It is totally ignored when doing a
>      followup--except that if it is present in a news group, you'll get
>      mail group semantics when doing `f'.

Well, I don't know what more to say.  It's an address used when you
press `a' in a summary buffer.  `to-address' is an address usd when
you type `a', `f' or `F'.

--
   Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen * larsi@ifi.uio.no
      (a red leaf that falls from the purple tree)

* Re: to-list
@ 1996-01-12  7:57   ` David K}gedal
From: David K}gedal @ 1996-01-12  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

>David K}gedal <davidk@lysator.liu.se> writes:
>
>> Could someone who understand what this group parameter does write a
>> better explanation, that explains what it does, and in what way it
>> differs from to-address, and when it should be used.
>>
>> `to-list'
>>      If the group parameter list has an element that looks like
>>      `(to-list . "some@where.com")', that address will be used when
>>      doing a `a' in any group.  It is totally ignored when doing a
>>      followup--except that if it is present in a news group, you'll get
>>      mail group semantics when doing `f'.
>
>Well, I don't know what more to say.  It's an address used when you
>press `a' in a summary buffer.  `to-address' is an address usd when
>you type `a', `f' or `F'.

OK. I simply could not figure out why on earth someone would want
this.

--

@ 1996-01-12 14:53     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-01-12 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

You want `to-list' for mailing lists where only list members are
expected to write to.

You want `to-address' for mailing lists where people can write to
without being member of the list.

If you use `to-list', non-members will never receive any followups you
make to their messages.

If you use `to-address', members will receive two copies of each
followup you make to their message.

* Re: to-list
@ 1996-01-12 16:45       ` David K}gedal
From: David K}gedal @ 1996-01-12 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

>You want `to-list' for mailing lists where only list members are
>expected to write to.

Thanks, this was the explanation I needed. Maybe it should be put in
the manual.

But I'm not sure you are right about this last thing:

>If you use `to-address', members will receive two copies of each
>followup you make to their message.

I use to-address, and this followup will only reach you once (I
pressed 'f').

--

@ 1996-01-12 19:22         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-01-12 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

DK> Thanks, this was the explanation I needed. Maybe it should be put in
DK> the manual.

I think that would be a bad idea, since I wrote exactly the opposite
of what I meant.  Here is the corrected version (I hope):

You want `to-address' for mailing lists where only list members are
expected to write to.  You want `to-list' for mailing lists where
people can write to without being member of the list.

If you use `to-address', non-members will never receive any followups
you make to their messages.  If you use `to-list', members will
receive two copies of each followup you make to their message.

There is no algorithm that will guarantee that both members and
non-members will receive exactly one copy of followups to their
messages.  When in doubt, use `to-list'.  Most people would rather
receive two copies of public answers to their messages, than not
receiving a copy at all.

* Re: to-list
@ 1996-01-12 21:47           ` David K}gedal
From: David K}gedal @ 1996-01-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

>There is no algorithm that will guarantee that both members and
>non-members will receive exactly one copy of followups to their
>messages.  When in doubt, use `to-list'.  Most people would rather
>receive two copies of public answers to their messages, than not
>receiving a copy at all.

And for us lucky people reading or mailing list mail with Gnus, the
problem doesn't exists, since we only see them once anyway.

Thanks Lars! :-)