Hello, below is a small lisp "packet" I have written which displays the number of new messages various mail groups in the general emacs modeline: [INBOX:2 hotmail:25] For example means that there are two unread messages in my INBOX group, and 25 in my hotmail group. This is particularly interesting for hotmail (i.e. probably spam) groups which I have at a subscription level of 6, and then only check with long intervals, without evering cluttering the *Group* buffer with these mails/groups. It should be to just load the file, and then fire gnus, or you could add a (require 'gnus-modeline) in your ~/.gnus. Comments appreciated :-) Joakim Hove