From: Paul Grayson <pgrayson+ding@ks.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: can back end keep track of *all* group info?
Date: 24 Dec 2001 12:57:12 -0600	[thread overview]

> M-g on the group makes Gnus update the estimate with real information
> though.
> Making the Group buffer use the real values from the backend, when
> they are able to provide that data, should fix this problem and be
> very useful.  Shouldn't be too difficult to do, I think.

Okay, I think that I'm starting to see what I need to do to trick gnus
into working correctly with my server.  M-g now updates my groups
quite well.  However, 'g' still displays only the groups with ticked
articles, and never thinks any groups have unread articles.

Is there an easy way to replace whatever 'g' uses currently with the
M-g update?  I'd like it to only display the groups that have new
messages, and I want 'n' at the end of one group to jump correctly to
the next unread group, so changing %y (as Kai proposed) isn't going to
be good enough, right?

Is the only difference between M-g and whatever 'g' does to each group
that -request-group is called with the 'dont-check' option in the
latter?

> If you implement `gnus-request-set-mark' your backend should at least
> receive all flags as set by Gnus.  The other way is handled via
> `nnchoke-request-update-info', but I'd agree that this is called too
> many times and still not enough times. (This is way nnimap doesn't
> have a `nnimap-request-update-info' but rather calls this function
> internally upon group entry, in `nnimap-request-group' -- which
> doesn't seem to cause any problems.)

Yes, I'll do that.  I think that my main problem is displaying the
correct groups and unread counts.

Thanks, and have a merry Christmas!
-Paul