Here are some of the headers of a mail that both gnus and metamail failed to grok as the sender intended them to, in the form I received it. It was apparently an animated gif, before microsoft outlook, majordomo, and whatever other mail-manglers mangled it got through with it. I can forward the full message if anyone is interested in looking at it. I've had this problem before, and I'm not sure it's a gnus problem. As maintainer of a majordomo mailing list, I get sent messages which bounce because they exceed a (fairly small) length limit. I could send them on, but I like to look at them before I do that, and I never seem to be able to do that. When I get the message, I see text that looks to me like mime headers, but that doesn't seem to buttonize like mime headers in gnus, or to be decoded into separate parts by "metamail -w". I never see anything resembling a gif.