From: Laura Conrad <lconrad@gamesville.com>
Subject: Re: sending to aol via smtp hangs gnus
Date: 14 Dec 1999 14:58:40 -0500	[thread overview]

    LC> I don't think that changes the fact that it's a bug if a
    LC> temporary failure to connect to the smtp host hangs gnus so
    LC> that it can't be interrupted, and continues to hang after the
    LC> connection is restored.  This was in fact the case; while the
    LC> hang was occurring, I was able to execute "telnet taz smtp"
    LC> successfully.

    ZSH> Could you send a backtrace which does not stop in
    ZSH> open-network-stream?

    ZSH> If it stops somewhere in smtpmail, it is unlikely to be a bug
    ZSH> in Gnus.

I take it back that I can reproduce the problem at will.  But the two
times I could reproduce it, it stopped in the same place.

On previous versions of gnus, I would often get a message back saying
that there was a problem connecting to SMTP.   This wasn't happening
this morning; our system manager says there were some overloads on taz
this morning that were leading to 30 second connection times.

I really think something might have happened to smtp mail in the CVS
since last week.

I'm sure it's true there's something screwed up about the smtp mail
server, but this isn't a very graceful way of dealing with it.

I believe you if you say the problem might not be in gnus, but as far
as I know, the only thing that's changed since last week is the CVS
version of gnus.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574