* Non-MULE XEmacs default charset
@ 1999-01-15 22:17 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-15 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

If we're running under a non-MULE XEmacs, and we find non-ascii chars,
then what charset are those in?  Is there a locale or something that
can be inspected?  Could someone write up some code to find out what
the preferred charset is?  I think the user should be prompted when
this can't be determined.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Non-MULE XEmacs default charset
@ 1999-01-15 23:33 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-01-15 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> If we're running under a non-MULE XEmacs, and we find non-ascii
> chars, then what charset are those in?  Is there a locale or
> something that can be inspected?

No.

For example, I run in a non-Mule XEmacs with latin2 fonts (as set by
Xdefaults), and the non-ASCII chars are likely latin2 -- however,
XEmacs doesn't know that by default.  Under TTY's, things work so that
I instruct my terminal (emulator) to display latin2 fonts, and XEmacs
does the (more or less) right thing by default.

I don't run in a Croatian locale, because that would be disastrous for
other things.  Besides, not all operating systems implement a Croatian
locale.

> I think the user should be prompted when this can't be determined.

Yes.  It would also be nice to provide a variable for this, say
`message-default-charset', which the user can set in their .gnus and
avoid the question.

* Re: Non-MULE XEmacs default charset
@ 1999-01-16 16:28   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-16 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> For example, I run in a non-Mule XEmacs with latin2 fonts (as set by
> Xdefaults), and the non-ASCII chars are likely latin2 -- however,
> XEmacs doesn't know that by default.  Under TTY's, things work so that
> I instruct my terminal (emulator) to display latin2 fonts, and XEmacs
> does the (more or less) right thing by default.

[...]

> Yes.  It would also be nice to provide a variable for this, say
> `message-default-charset', which the user can set in their .gnus and
> avoid the question.

I imagine that Message isn't the only package that would be interested
in knowing what charset you're using.  Would it make sense to have a
general non-Mule-XEmacs variable?  `default-charset'?

* Re: Non-MULE XEmacs default charset
@ 1999-01-16 17:11     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-01-16 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I imagine that Message isn't the only package that would be
> interested in knowing what charset you're using.  Would it make
> sense to have a general non-Mule-XEmacs variable?
> `default-charset'?

Yes, I think it would make sense, but I'm not sure if it's worth the
trouble at this stage.  Also, the notion of "charset" is in collision
with Mule's coding systems (or whatever it is that Mule uses).

* Re: Non-MULE XEmacs default charset
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-16 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > I imagine that Message isn't the only package that would be
> > interested in knowing what charset you're using.  Would it make
> > sense to have a general non-Mule-XEmacs variable?
> > `default-charset'?
>
> Yes, I think it would make sense, but I'm not sure if it's worth the
> trouble at this stage.

I've now added message-default-charset to 0.72.

* Re: Non-MULE XEmacs default charset
@ 1999-01-20 21:20   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-01-20 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

  > I don't run in a Croatian locale, because that would be disastrous
  > for other things.  Besides, not all operating systems implement a
  > Croatian locale.

Can you set LC_CTYPE to iso_8859_2 or something?  Does that even
exist?  Does it do something meaningful?  How does XEmacs know about
LC_CTYPE?  What if LC_ALL is set rather than LC_CTYPE?  Questions,
questions, ...

Beware: I don't grok this i18n stuff at all.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

* Re: Non-MULE XEmacs default charset
@ 1999-01-21 13:53     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-01-21 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
>
>   > I don't run in a Croatian locale, because that would be disastrous
>   > for other things.  Besides, not all operating systems implement a
>   > Croatian locale.
>
> Can you set LC_CTYPE to iso_8859_2 or something?

No, thanks.  I don't want to do that.

> Does that even exist?

On some OS-es it doesn't.