From: Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr>
Subject: Re: Why can't `gnus-draft-setup' be bytecompiled?
Date: 10 Mar 1998 00:19:27 +0100	[thread overview]

SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:

> `gnus-draft-setup' is wrapped in a progn and has the annotation:
>
> ;;;!!!If this is byte-compiled, it fails miserably.
> ;;;!!!I have no idea why.
>
> I just tried it bytecompiled and it seemed to work.  What was/is
> broken about it?  If it's an editor bug I want to fix it.

It is probably a manifestation of the bug I've fixed a few betas ago.
You will note that `gnus-setup-message' makes use of uninterned
symbols to make macro execution safe.  While this method works in the
interpreter, it fails for compile code because the reader interns the
symbols in the obarray.

This has been fixed by introducing the `#:' gensym syntax and making
the byte-compiler emit it by default.  FSFmacs 20 contains the same
fix, courtesy Erik Naggum.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia