From: Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Imap split, does not work (of course)
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 12:59:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> If someone could explain the concept of "backend slots" vs using "setq"
>>> it would help me a lot.
>
> Slots are fields in Common Lisp-style "structs"
>  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/cl/Structures.html
>
> Whether that's the case for the gnus backend slots as well, I don't
> know.  But it seems likely.

Thanks to you and Michael. Unfortunately, It doesn't really clarify
things too much (to me) since the examples given here and elsewhere seem
to alternate between using setq and these slots. It's not apparent to me
when slots should be used : I had always (I guess incorrectly) assumed
from other examples that if I use a "global" like

(setq nnmail-xyz "blah")

Then the "back end slot" would cleverly default to this if I didn't
specifically set it in select-method parameters. Indeed, I posted my
setup numerous times and had it commented on by some pretty knowledgable
Gnus users before the recent thing about it being wrong since some
are/should be back-end slots.

I think I'll start my set up from scratch. It all used to work fine so
I'm not exactly sure which part is broken.

Cheers
r.