From: David Blacka <davidb@netsol.com>
Subject: Re: Hotmail back/front/middle-end was Re: Free email services ...
Date: 14 May 1998 10:32:09 -0400	[thread overview]

 >> It would be easy to write a simple nntp-server program that gnus
 >> talked to and fetched mail from, but the main problem is how to
 >> post, and delete messages??

 Kai> The file nndb.el contains the beginnings of a `writable nntp'
 Kai> implementation -- it is derived from nntp.el but provides a few
 Kai> additional commands for writing and deleting messages.  I'm
 Kai> afraid it pretends to work but really doesn't, but maybe you can
 Kai> get some ideas from it.  As you can see, defining a new Gnus
 Kai> backend isn't all that complicated.  (It's only my lack of Lisp
 Kai> programming and my lack of understanding the Gnus backend stuff
 Kai> and the nnoo stuff that prevents this from really working.)

Actually, nndb.el does work if you remove the
(nntp-possibly-change-servers) commands.  My guess is the nntp.el is
not really fully implemented for inheritance, though.  There seem to
be a number of somewhat cricitcal functions and variables that are
defun and defvar'ed instead of defoo and devoo'ed.

--
David Blacka <davidb@netsol.com>        Software Engineer
Product Development Team - Network Solutions, Herndon, VA