* more IMAP
@ 2000-02-01  0:22 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-02-01  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

When connecting to a particular IMAP host I see 3 groups
       0: nnimap+lula-imap:lula
       *: nnimap+lula-imap:Sent Items
       *: nnimap+lula-imap:Drafts

This is an experimental server and is only carrying one group
"lula"

Several people have commented on the "Sent Items" and "Drafts" groups
that appear, but the host operator says it is our mail clients that
create them,  that they aren't really on the host at all.

Is gnus doing that?

* Re: more IMAP
@ 2000-02-01  0:30 ` John Prevost
From: John Prevost @ 2000-02-01  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> When connecting to a particular IMAP host I see 3 groups
>        0: nnimap+lula-imap:lula
>        *: nnimap+lula-imap:Sent Items
>        *: nnimap+lula-imap:Drafts
>
> This is an experimental server and is only carrying one group
> "lula"
>
> Several people have commented on the "Sent Items" and "Drafts" groups
> that appear, but the host operator says it is our mail clients that
> create them,  that they aren't really on the host at all.
>
> Is gnus doing that?

Nope.  Those are from Netscape or Outlook or Eudora or the like.  Gnus
only creates groups when you tell it to.  :)

John.

* Re: more IMAP
@ 2000-02-01  1:13   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-02-01  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Prevost <prevost@maya.com> writes:

> > When connecting to a particular IMAP host I see 3 groups
> >        0: nnimap+lula-imap:lula
> >        *: nnimap+lula-imap:Sent Items
> >        *: nnimap+lula-imap:Drafts
> >
> > This is an experimental server and is only carrying one group
> > "lula"
> >
> > Several people have commented on the "Sent Items" and "Drafts" groups
> > that appear, but the host operator says it is our mail clients that
> > create them,  that they aren't really on the host at all.
> >
> > Is gnus doing that?
>
> Nope.  Those are from Netscape or Outlook or Eudora or the like.  Gnus
> only creates groups when you tell it to.  :)

I'm connecting to this server with gnus and I see the groups
mentioned.  Are you saying the server itself is Netscape, Outlook or
Eudora software?

* Re: more IMAP
@ 2000-02-01  4:06     ` David Maslen
       [not found]       ` <kpbt60rg4f.fsf@utip202.cs.utwente.nl>
From: David Maslen @ 2000-02-01  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I think he is suggesting that someone else has logged in with a
netscape client and those groups have been created.

I use imap from a linux box. I have an account on that box. All the
imap folders are in my home directory with file names = to the folder
names.

So if someone logged into this anonymous server of yours, and sent a
message, netscape makes a "Sent Message" file. You log in with gnus,
and see a "Sent Message" folder. Simple.

If you don't like seeing it, unsubscribe from it. If you don't like
it, open it and move the messages out of it, to the INBOX, mark them
as unread MM-uu and they will be put into whatever group gnus would
sort them to, next time you reload g.

* Re: more IMAP
       [not found]       ` <kpbt60rg4f.fsf@utip202.cs.utwente.nl>
@ 2000-02-03 12:40         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-02-03 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Maslen, ding

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:

> I noticed that Outlook creates IMAP folders for the Contacts and Schedule as
> well. If you access them as mail folders (I tried using netscape) the
> appointment text is the message subject, and any notes appear as message
> body. But nowhere did I see the actual date and place of the appointment. Is
> there some special trick to get at these, perhaps???

I believe Outlook store the date of the appointment in the
INTERNALDATE field on the article on the IMAP server. That field is
not available to Gnus, I think.

> Would be very cool to integrate this somehow with linux schedulers, to allow
> anybody full use of their exchange server. We're stuck with these at work to
> manage our schedules and give our secretaries access to them....
> and I occasionally have to boot up windows just to check my schedule :-(

What are "linux schedulers"?  It's easy to write something that
iterate through your Schedule mailbox and do something:

(with-current-buffer (imap-open "mail.server.com")
  (when (imap-mailbox-select "Schedule")
    (dolist (uid (imap-search "UNDELETED"))
      (imap-fetch uid 'FULL)
      (message "Internal date: %s" (imap-message-get uid 'INTERNALDATE))
      (message "Envelope: %s" (imap-message-get uid 'ENVELOPE))
      (message "Body: %s" (imap-message-get uid 'BODY))))
        ...etc...
  (imap-close))

* Re: more IMAP
@ 2000-02-03 13:00           ` Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) @ 2000-02-03 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> > there some special trick to get at these, perhaps???
>
> I believe Outlook store the date of the appointment in the
> INTERNALDATE field on the article on the IMAP server. That field is
> not available to Gnus, I think.
>
> > Would be very cool to integrate this somehow with linux schedulers, to allow
> > anybody full use of their exchange server. We're stuck with these at work to
> > manage our schedules and give our secretaries access to them....
> > and I occasionally have to boot up windows just to check my schedule :-(
>
> What are "linux schedulers"?  It's easy to write something that
> iterate through your Schedule mailbox and do something:
>
> (with-current-buffer (imap-open "mail.server.com")
>   (when (imap-mailbox-select "Schedule")
>     (dolist (uid (imap-search "UNDELETED"))
>       (imap-fetch uid 'FULL)
>       (message "Internal date: %s" (imap-message-get uid 'INTERNALDATE))
>       (message "Envelope: %s" (imap-message-get uid 'ENVELOPE))
>       (message "Body: %s" (imap-message-get uid 'BODY))))
>         ...etc...
>   (imap-close))

I am currently more interested in Calendar entries, So I tried this:
 (with-current-buffer (imap-open "jermail1.amdocs.com")
   (when (imap-mailbox-select "Calendar")
     (dolist (uid (imap-search "UNDELETED"))
       (imap-fetch uid 'FULL)
       (message "Internal date: %s" (imap-message-get uid 'INTERNALDATE))
       (message "Envelope: %s" (imap-message-get uid 'ENVELOPE))
       (message "Body: %s" (imap-message-get uid 'BODY))))
   (imap-close))

and got the following error:

Waiting for response from jermail1.amdocs.com...done
error in process filter: Internal error, tag 4 status BAD code nil text SELECT command received in invalid state. [2 times]

Any other pointers?

Thanks,
Yair Friedman.

* Re: more IMAP
@ 2000-02-03 15:10           ` Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 2000-02-03 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03 Feb 2000 13:40:05 +0100 Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:
> Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:
>
> > I noticed that Outlook creates IMAP folders for the Contacts and Schedule as
> > well. If you access them as mail folders (I tried using netscape) the
> > appointment text is the message subject, and any notes appear as message
> > body. But nowhere did I see the actual date and place of the appointment. Is
> > there some special trick to get at these, perhaps???
>
> I believe Outlook store the date of the appointment in the
> INTERNALDATE field on the article on the IMAP server. That field is
> not available to Gnus, I think.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. INTERNALDATE is the date on which the
appointment got added on the server. Apart from the appointment dat, I'm alsom
interested in: location, recurrence data, etc.

Anybody else any ideas??

Jaap-Henk
--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman             | Come sail your ships around me
Dept. of Computer Science     | And burn these bridges down

* Re: more IMAP
@ 2000-02-03 15:22             ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-02-03 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <YAIRFR@Amdocs.com> writes:

> Waiting for response from jermail1.amdocs.com...done
> error in process filter: Internal error, tag 4 status BAD code nil text SELECT command received in invalid state. [2 times]
>
> Any other pointers?

The imap.el API is described in more detail in the imap.el file.

The luxuary of kerberos made me skip over authentication in my example
(it's handled by `imap-open'). Try the version below instead. More
info in imap.el and RFC2060.

>  (with-current-buffer (imap-open "jermail1.amdocs.com")
    (when (imap-authenticate)
)