* Bug? pgnus 0.95
@ 1999-07-28 12:13 Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1999-07-28 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have various topics set up with ((gcc-self . t)) so that I always get
a GCC'd copy of all messages I send in the groups in that topic. This
all works fine if I post from within the group, i get a Gcc: that palces
a copy in the group. HOWEVER if i press 'm' in the group buffer with
point over one of the groups under one of these topics I get a blank
Gcc: line in the message instead. I should (IMHO) get a Gcc line
something like Gcc: nnfolder+archive:mail.Jul-1999 as defined by the
following in my .gnus.el

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p)
            "misc-news"
          (concat "mail." (format-time-string "%b-%Y" (current-time))))))

Am I wrong to be setting gcc-self in the topic parameters or is this a
bug?

Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"

* Re: Bug? pgnus 0.95
@ 1999-07-28 13:17 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-07-28 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think you need to do a C-u m when over the group line, not just m.
That's what's documented, and it works for me.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Bug? pgnus 0.95
@ 1999-07-28 13:28   ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1999-07-28 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> I think you need to do a C-u m when over the group line, not just m.
> That's what's documented, and it works for me.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself too well. That would Gcc to the group
that the point is over which is not what I'm after.

I tootle around and read my mail, then say for example I want to compose
a new mail. I'm in the Group buffer with point over some indeterminate
group (At this point I don't care and shouldn't have to care which!) and
hit 'm' to compose a new message. What I think should happen is that I
should get a Gcc: into my archive folder (That's what the lisp snippet I
sent does). This is what, correctly, happens if point is over a group in
a topic with the ((gcc-self . t)) not set. If however point happens to
be over a group who's parent topic has ((gcc-self . t)) in it's
parameters I get an empty Gcc line. This is IMHO wrong. My messages
should be archived according to gnus-message-archive-group regardless of
the group I'm over, after all I'm just over the group, not IN it.

Sorry for the possibly weak explanation both times, I hope you now see
what I mean ...

Lee.
--

@ 1999-07-28 15:39     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-28 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Willis <lee@gbdirect.co.uk> writes:

> I tootle around and read my mail, then say for example I want to compose
> a new mail. I'm in the Group buffer with point over some indeterminate
> group (At this point I don't care and shouldn't have to care which!) and
> hit 'm' to compose a new message.

FWIW, I have the following instead of the gcc-self mechanism.  It
pretty much does the same thing but provides a default.  Maybe you
would like to avoid your problem altogether and use something like
this?

(defun kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group ()
  (cond ((and gnus-newsgroup-name
              (stringp gnus-newsgroup-name)
              (not (string= "" gnus-newsgroup-name))
              (string-match "^\\(nnml\\|nnimap\\):" gnus-newsgroup-name))
         gnus-newsgroup-name)
        ((and gnus-newsgroup-name
              (stringp gnus-newsgroup-name)
              (string-match "^nntodo:" gnus-newsgroup-name))
         nil)
        (t "nnimap:INBOX")))

(setq gnus-outgoing-message-group 'kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group)

(defun message-toggle-gcc ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (let ((pmin (progn (beginning-of-buffer) (point)))
            (pmax (progn
                    (beginning-of-buffer)
                    (re-search-forward (concat "^" mail-header-separator
                                               "$"))
                    (beginning-of-line)
                    (point))))
        (beginning-of-buffer)
        (narrow-to-region pmin pmax)
        (if (re-search-forward "^gcc: .*" nil t)
            (progn
              (beginning-of-line)
              (kill-line 1))
          (goto-char pmax)
          (insert (concat "Gcc: "
                          (kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group)
                          "\n")))))))

The last function is useful in the message buffer.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Bug? pgnus 0.95
@ 1999-07-29  8:17     ` Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 1999-07-29  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28 Jul 1999 14:28:15 +0100 Lee Willis <lee@gbdirect.co.uk> writes:
> dsg@mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:
>
> > I think you need to do a C-u m when over the group line, not just m.
> > That's what's documented, and it works for me.
>
> Sorry, I didn't explain myself too well. That would Gcc to the group
> that the point is over which is not what I'm after.
>
> I tootle around and read my mail, then say for example I want to compose
> a new mail. I'm in the Group buffer with point over some indeterminate
> group (At this point I don't care and shouldn't have to care which!) and
> hit 'm' to compose a new message. What I think should happen is that I
> should get a Gcc: into my archive folder (That's what the lisp snippet I
> sent does). This is what, correctly, happens if point is over a group in
> a topic with the ((gcc-self . t)) not set. If however point happens to
> be over a group who's parent topic has ((gcc-self . t)) in it's
> parameters I get an empty Gcc line. This is IMHO wrong. My messages
> should be archived according to gnus-message-archive-group regardless of
> the group I'm over, after all I'm just over the group, not IN it.

I agree that this is a bug (which is already present in pgnus 0.91)

Jaap-Henk

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman             | Come sail your ships around me
Dept. of Computer Science     | And burn these bridges down