I've recently set my scroll-margin value to >0 and immediately had problems using Gnus. First, I would recommend to apply the patch that sets the scroll-margin to zero in summary buffers: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/85300 Even if this patch may only cure the symptom of a bug in Emacs I'd still think it should be applied since a) it does no harm and b) the summary buffer is otherwise practically unusable if scroll-margin > 0 and Emacs 22 or newer. Additionally, I noticed that when I hit ENTER in the summary buffer to scroll the currently displayed article by one line, it often scrolls by nearly a full page. This frequently happens in shimbun groups, but not always - I can't really say why. My guess is this is due to (move-to-window-line -1) in gnus-article-next-page. I fixed this behavior by putting the cursor in the middle of the article buffer before calling gnus-article-next-page-1 (see attached patch). This works for me, but I don't know if this is the correct thing to do. Scrolling in Emacs is a deep mystery to me... -David