* Re: Selecting message moves cursor in summary buffer by 3 lines
       [not found] <87skuyr5bq.fsf@nokile.rath.org>
@ 2008-06-30  2:40 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-06-30  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaus Rath; +Cc: bugs, ding, emacs-devel

> Hello,

> Whenever I have a large number of unread messages (20 unrelated,
> unread messages seems to be a critical value) in the summary buffer,
> selecting one article shows the marked article but also moves down the
> cursor by 3 lines, so that pressing space doesn't show the next page
> of the visible article but selects the new article.

Try evaluating this form (type `C-x C-e' at the end of the line):

(setq scroll-margin 0)

If it solves the problem, you seem to have modified it in your
~/.emacs file (the default is `0').  There is a known problem in
Emacs 22 and greater that setting it to a non-zero value causes
Gnus malfunction at least in the summary buffer.  See:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/85300
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/90810

@ 2008-06-30  8:10   ` Nikolaus Rath
From: Nikolaus Rath @ 2008-06-30  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-devel

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>> Hello,
>
>> Whenever I have a large number of unread messages (20 unrelated,
>> unread messages seems to be a critical value) in the summary buffer,
>> selecting one article shows the marked article but also moves down the
>> cursor by 3 lines, so that pressing space doesn't show the next page
>> of the visible article but selects the new article.
>
> Try evaluating this form (type `C-x C-e' at the end of the line):
>
> (setq scroll-margin 0)

Yes, that fixes the problem. Thanks a lot!

Best,

   -Nikolaus

--
 Nikolaus@rath.org | College Ring 6, 28759 Bremen, Germany
 Class of 2008 - Physics | Jacobs University Bremen

 »My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.«

* Re: Selecting message moves cursor in summary buffer by 3 lines
@ 2008-06-30  9:27     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2008-06-30  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:
>> Try evaluating this form (type `C-x C-e' at the end of the line):
>>
>> (setq scroll-margin 0)
>
> Yes, that fixes the problem. Thanks a lot!

I'm struggling with the same problem, and it's difficult to track down
what exactly is triggering it when scroll-margin>0. I'm using a three
pane layout, and it seems to me this happens when I select an article at
the bottom of the summary buffer and it shrinks due to the article
buffer popping up, but it also depends on the size of the Emacs frame
and the value of scroll-margin. I guess that gnus-summary-recenter
somehow positions the cursor wrongly, but I'm not really sure. At least,
setting gnus-auto-center-summary to nil also seems to fix the problem
for me.

Regards,
David