* Gnus, offline, Windows 98
@ 1998-04-19  9:15 Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren
From: Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren @ 1998-04-19  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running Windows 98, and am in the middle of my yearly attempt of
trying to force Gnus to run off-line.

I've managed that, sort of, but I would like to be in synch with my
regular machine, so I've said

        (setq gnus-directory "/roffe@tag.uio.no:")
        (setq gnus-init-file "/roffe@tag.uio.no:.gnus")

to make Gnus use my UNIX files.  now, this works fine for the most
common Macintosh and Windows newsreaders.  reading and writing .newsrc
takes less than half a minute.

with Gnus, it doesn't seem to work.  the network monitor says reports
no traffic, but acknowledges that Windows runs its native ftp program.
weird.  so I downloaded ncftp instead, hoping the problem might be an
inadequate ftp program.

but things aren't much better with ncftp for Windows.  the network
monitor now reporst that there _is_ activity, but so little that
transferring the relevant files will take several hours.

any tips?

--

       Rolf Lindgren           |       "The opinions expressed above are
       Sofienberggt. 13b       |        not necessarily those of anyone"

* Re: Gnus, offline, Windows 98
@ 1998-04-19 11:17 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-04-19 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren <roffe@tag.uio.no> writes:

  > with Gnus, it doesn't seem to work.  the network monitor says reports
  > no traffic, but acknowledges that Windows runs its native ftp program.
  > weird.  so I downloaded ncftp instead, hoping the problem might be an
  > inadequate ftp program.

Have you read the NT Emacs FAQ yet?  It has something about ange-ftp.
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html
I don't use Win95 nor NT, though, so I can't help you further.

kai
--
You ate somebody? -- Just a leg. -- That's terrible! -- Not with mustard.
(Terry Pratchett: Interesting Times)

* Re: Gnus, offline, Windows 98
@ 1998-04-19 15:32   ` Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren
From: Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren @ 1998-04-19 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

now Gnus complains that the process nntpd is not running, even after I
strip all init files.

how does Gnus talk with the nntp server anyway?  does Gnus call a telnet
program?  if so, I think I'll have to look at the FAQ again, because the
telnet that comes with Windows probably won't cut it.

that can't be, though, because only yesterday I was able to read News
under Gnus on nt-emacs.

oh well, there's always got to be something.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-24 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren <roffe@tag.uio.no> writes:

> how does Gnus talk with the nntp server anyway?  does Gnus call a telnet
> program?  if so, I think I'll have to look at the FAQ again, because the
> telnet that comes with Windows probably won't cut it.

Gnus, by default, uses the built-in function `open-network-stream' to
talk to NNTP servers.  I have no idea how that's implemented under
Windos.