* total-expiry
@ 1999-07-30  8:45 Shaun Lipscombe
From: Shaun Lipscombe @ 1999-07-30  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have now decided to mark add to my group params, for mailing list
groups, total-expiry.  After doing this, and then entering/leaving the
group I expected the expiry process to run.  Do I need to mark all the
'O'ld mail as 'R'ead instead.  I though 'O' was a 'kind of' read
mark.  I have tried doing gnus-summary-expire-articles-now but I
expect that this would only work for messages actually marked as
'E'xpirable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shaun

--
          (o_
(o_  (o_  //\

* Re: total-expiry
@ 1999-07-30 11:10 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-30 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shaun Lipscombe <shaun.lipscombe@gasops.co.uk> writes:

> I have now decided to mark add to my group params, for mailing list
> groups, total-expiry.  After doing this, and then entering/leaving the
> group I expected the expiry process to run.

Only if you haven't (remove-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook
'gnus-summary-expire-articles).

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: total-expiry
@ 1999-07-30 12:28   ` Shaun Lipscombe
From: Shaun Lipscombe @ 1999-07-30 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

No I haven't removed the hook.  Strange...

Shaun

--

@ 1999-07-31 15:35 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-07-31 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

SL> I have now decided to mark add to my group params, for mailing list
SL> groups, total-expiry.  After doing this, and then entering/leaving the
SL> group I expected the expiry process to run.  Do I need to mark all the
SL> 'O'ld mail as 'R'ead instead.  I though 'O' was a 'kind of' read
SL> mark.  I have tried doing gnus-summary-expire-articles-now but I
SL> expect that this would only work for messages actually marked as
SL> 'E'xpirable.

I don't know what all the conventions are but 'O'ld mail does not get
expired on my total-expiry groups either.  I notice this when I enter
groups with 'C-u g' and discover a bunch of 'O'ld messages that haven't
been expired.

Messages that are 'R'ead or 'E'xpirable will vanish at the appropriate time
in total-expire groups.  The manual isn't written completely clear on this
matter.

I also forgot that adaptive scoring and auto-expire conflict with each
other.  If one wants to use adapting, one should either use total-expire
(which doesn't change article marks) or nothing.  The problem is (and this
isn't in the manual) that auto-expire changes the marks _before_ adaptive
scoring peruses the articles to see what is interesting and what is not.

--
Jack Vinson
Zippy: Well, I'm on the right planet---everyone looks like me!!!

* Re: total-expiry
@ 1999-08-02  9:27   ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-08-02  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Jack> I don't know what all the conventions are but 'O'ld mail does
 Jack> not get expired on my total-expiry groups either. I notice this
 Jack> when I enter groups with 'C-u g' and discover a bunch of 'O'ld
 Jack> messages that haven't been expired.

And they stay that way forever??

 Jack> Messages that are 'R'ead or 'E'xpirable will vanish at the
 Jack> appropriate time in total-expire groups.

Hmm, all `R'ead mail is marked `O'ld if I exit/reenter the group.
I think they are expired all right, since the article count does not
grow without bounds.

 Jack> The problem is (and this isn't in the manual) that
 Jack> auto-expire changes the marks _before_ adaptive scoring peruses
 Jack> the articles to see what is interesting and what is not.

But there is a paragraph to the effect that you should not mix
auto-expire and adaptive scoring in the "Expiring Mail" node.

        Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>