From: Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
Subject: gnus-5.8.7 tries to put crashbox in /: permission denied, natch
Date: 10 Jul 2000 10:58:41 -0400	[thread overview]

Something I did (^g?) caused email mail slurping from ~/Mailbox to
fail and it apparently created an .emacs-crash-mail-box. I didn't
notice this at the time so I may not have the name quite
right. Anyway, I've occasionally seen this before and emacs figures
it out the next time I go to read mail.

There was a next time I wanted to read mail, and I tried, but Gnus
complained with a message like "Cannot create /gnus-emacs-crashbox"
(again, I probably don't have the name right, it went away.)

Note that it's trying to put it in "/", that part I am quoting
correctly :-). So it failed, and repeated attempts also failed,
naturally.

I ended up removing the .emacs-crash-mail-box by hand (after reading
all the messages "by hand") and now gnus is happy again. But is it
trying to put crash boxes in the wrong dir, guessing the user home dir
wrong?

Thanks.