* split-fancy problem...
@ 1999-09-04 20:47 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1999-09-04 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello world,

I decided to try to get split-fancy working today. Mostly
because I'd like to write to both an archive folder and an
appropriate subject folder. (But also because every time I learn
a new gnus feature, I think the world becomes a brighter
place...)

I'm not getting the results I expect, and I figure it's a thinko
or a typo on my part. Anyone care to inspect the following
split-fancy code and tell me what stupid thing I've done wrong?

(defun nwalsh-incoming-group ()
  (format-time-string "archive.%Y-%m"))

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(& (: nwalsh-incoming-group)
	  (| (| ("subject" "Returned mail: User unknown" "spam")
		("subject" "adults only" "spam")
		("subject" "EARN" "spam")
		("subject" "money making" "spam")
		("subject" "credit report" "spam"))
	     (any "LETPRESS@" "letterpress")
	     (any "ding@" "emacs.ding")
	     (any "ntemacs-users@" "emacs.ntemacs")
	     (any "twg-tds@" "tds")
	     (any "debian-user" "debian")
	     (any "debian-announce" "debian-announce")
	     (any "www-font" "www-font")
	     (| (any "owner-davenport@" "davenport.admin")
		(any "davenport-approval@" "davenport.admin"))
	     (any "davenport" "davenport")
	     (any "docbook-eb" "docbook-eb")
	     (any "docbook-tc" "docbook-tc")
	     (| (any "cron" "cron")
		("subject" "Output from .*cron.* command" "cron"))
	     ("subject" "comp\.fonts" "fonts")
	     (any "regrep@.*oasis-open.org" "oasis.regrep")
	     (any "tables@.*oasis-open.org" "oasis.tables")
	     (any "w3c-dom-ig@" "w3c-dom-ig")
	     (any "w3c-xsl-wg@" "w3c-xsl-wg")
	     (any "w3c-xsl-fo-sg@" "w3c-xsl-fo-sg")
	     (any "spec-prod@w3.org" "w3c-spec-prod")
	     (any "w3c-format@w3.org" "w3c-format")
	     (any "xsl-list@" "xsl-list")
	     (any "xml-dev@" "xml-dev")
	     (any "dssslist" "dssslist")
	     (| (any "adepters-digest@" "adepters")
		(any "adepters@" "adepters"))
	     (| ("subject" " Checkins" "arbortext.buildmsgs")
		("subject" " Build Log" "arbortext.buildmsgs")
		("subject" " Install Log" "arbortext.buildmsgs")
		("subject" " Nightly Build Complete" "arbortext.buildmsgs")
		("subject" " develbuild log" "arbortext.buildmsgs"))
	     ("subject" "nwalsh timesheet" "arbortext.timesheets")
	     (any "peppermint@arbortext" "arbortext.peppermint")
	     (any "peppermint-arch@arbortext" "arbortext.peppermint-arch")
	     (any "epic-devel@arbortext" "arbortext.epic-devel")
	     (any "epic-lessons@arbortext" "arbortext.epic-lessons")
	     (any "dtd-epic@arbortext" "arbortext.dtd-epic")
	     (any "w3c-team@arbortext" "arbortext.w3c-team")
	     (any "w3c-people@arbortext" "arbortext.w3c-people")
	     (any "groves@arbortext" "arbortext.groves")
	     (any "xml@arbortext" "arbortext.xml")
	     (any "elmtalk@arbortext" "arbortext.elmtalk")
	     (any "ask-ati@arbortext" "arbortext.ask-ati")
	     (any "vantive@arbortext" "arbortext.vantive")
	     (any "appdev-acl@arbortext" "arbortext.appdev-acl")
	     (any "appdev@arbortext" "arbortext.appdev")
	     (any "engin@arbortext" "arbortext.engin")
	     (any "xsl-support@arbortext" "arbortext.xsl-support")
	     (any "schema-support@arbortext" "arbortext.schema-support")
	     (any "htmlhelp@arbortext" "arbortext.htmlhelp")
	     (| (any "askeve@arbortext" "arbortext.thinktank")
		(any "asknorm@arbortext" "arbortext.thinktank")
		(any "askpaul@arbortext" "arbortext.thinktank"))
	     (| (any "arbortext" "arbortext")
		(any "doctools" "arbortext")
		("message-id" "doctools" "arbortext"))
	     (any "sgml-tools" "sgml-tools")
	     (any "wordsmith.org" "wordsmith")
	     (any "unicode@" "unicode")
	     (from "majordomo" "list-admin")
	     (any "perl-xml-docs" "perl-xml-docs")
	     (any "perl-xml" "perl-xml")
	     (any "silent-tristero" "silent-tristero")
	     (| (from "@ora\.com" "ora")
		(from "@oreilly\.com" "ora")
		(from "@songline\.com" "ora"))
	     (any "bbdb-info" "bbdb-info")
	     (| (any "norm@berkshire\.net")
		(any "ndw@nwalsh\.com"))
	     "spam")))

With this split, everything goes in archive.1999-09, but no where else.
If I take out the initial (& and use simply:

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(| (| ("subject" "Returned mail: User unknown" "spam")
             ("subject" "adults only" "spam")
	     ("subject" "EARN" "spam")
	     ("subject" "money making" "spam")
	     ("subject" "credit report" "spam"))
	  (any "LETPRESS@" "letterpress")

Then some things get split properly but others don't. Consider,
for example, a message with the headers:

  From: Bob Richardson <InkSprite@AOL.COM>
  Subject:      POLK'S BOOK
  To: LETPRESS@hermes.csd.unb.ca
  Date:         Sat, 4 Sep 1999 08:41:47 EDT

  In a message dated 03/09/99 03:33:08 GMT Daylight Time, BSimon999@AOL.COM
  writes:

I would have expected that to go in the letterpress folder, but it
wound up in "spam".

Anyone see the error(s) of my ways?

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | What good is a can of worms if you
http://nwalsh.com/                 | never open it?--Bob Arning

* Re: split-fancy problem...
@ 1999-09-06 10:33 ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-09-06 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Norman> (setq nnmail-split-fancy
 Norman>       '(| (| ("subject" "Returned mail: User unknown" "spam")
 Norman>              ("subject" "adults only" "spam")
 Norman> 	     ("subject" "EARN" "spam") ("subject" "money
 Norman> 	     making" "spam") ("subject" "credit report"
 Norman> 	     "spam"))
 Norman> 	  (any "LETPRESS@" "letterpress")
 Norman>           ....

 Norman> Then some things get split properly but others don't.

(I'm dry-debugging this, so apply appropriate quantities of salt).

The holy manual says:

     In these splits, FIELD must match a complete field name.  VALUE must
  match a complete word according to the fundamental mode syntax table.
  You can use `.*' in the regexps to match partial field names or words.
  In other words, all VALUE's are wrapped in `\<' and `\>' pairs.

Because of that, `(any "LETPRESS@" "letterpress")' will not fire, so
this message will end up in your catch-all group - "spam".

        Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: split-fancy problem...
@ 1999-09-06 17:58   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1999-09-06 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

| Because of that, `(any "LETPRESS@" "letterpress")' will not fire, so
| this message will end up in your catch-all group - "spam".

Thanks, Robert, that gets me closer. Ok, I've changed all the lines
that read

  (any "something@" "something")

  (any "something@.*" "something")

and that seems to work much better. The splits seem to be working.

But, there's still one problem...

I'm using the leading (& split to make archival copies of all my
messages in

  nnml:archive.1999-09

But after the split runs, that group doesn't seem to reflect the new
contents until I exit gnus and restart. Do I have to do something else
to get the active/overview file to update?

Similarly, now that I've got a single archive group for all the incoming
mail, I'd like to make all my outgoing mail archive there as well,
so I set

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p)
	    "news"
	  (concat "nnml:" (nwalsh-incoming-group)))))

(Where (nwalsh-incoming-group) returns "archive.yyyy-mm")

Again, after sending a new message, I can see that it's been deposited
in the right directory, but gnus doesn't know about it until I exit
and restart.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Nature is amoral, not immoral.
http://nwalsh.com/                 | [It] existed for eons before we
                                   | arrived, didn't know we were
                                   | coming, and doesn't give a damn
                                   | about us.--Stephen J. Gould

* Re: split-fancy problem...
@ 1999-09-07  7:45     ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-09-07  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Norman>   nnml:archive.1999-09

 Norman> But after the split runs, that group doesn't seem to reflect
 Norman> the new contents until I exit gnus and restart. Do I have to
 Norman> do something else to get the active/overview file to update?

I don't really know, this is just a shot into the blue: here I have
the "~/Mail/archive" directory in use by the "nnarchive" server
backend. Maybe you have this too, plus `nnmail-use-long-file-names'
set to nil, which will put the above group also into the
"~/Mail/archive" directory, probably interfering with "nnarchive". So,
just for completeness sake, have you tried group names like
"nnml:fooarc.1999-09"?

        Robbe