* threading colors
@ 1999-05-04 20:11 Matt Garman
From: Matt Garman @ 1999-05-04 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello:

I've been using the program "slrn" to read Usenet news, and I'm happy
with it.  But I thought I'd start using gnus just because I have it on

my system (and I really dig XEmacs).

Anyway, I'm really liking gnus thus far, but right now I don't have it

as colorful as slrn was.  Mainly, when I'm viewing the message
summaries of a newgroup, I want the original topic to be in one color,

and threaded messages (i.e. the replies) to be in another.  The
staggering makes it somewhat easy to scan headers, but I'd like
different colors to more quickly differentiate between threads.
Anyone know how to accomplish this?

I did a "M-x customize-face" then hit "?" to bring up a list of
options... but the list is terribly long, and I don't know which to
choose.

By the way, I _think_ I'm using gnus 5.5, just because the FAQ says
that 5.5 is standard with XEmacs 20.4, which is what I'm using.  My
other question, then, is how do I show the gnus version?

Thanks a million!
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@students.uiuc.edu
"And though the window in the wall

* Re: threading colors
@ 1999-05-05 10:57 ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-05-05 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Matt> Mainly, when I'm viewing the message summaries of a newgroup, I
 Matt> want the original topic to be in one color, and threaded
 Matt> messages (i.e. the replies) to be in another. The staggering
 Matt> makes it somewhat easy to scan headers, but I'd like different
 Matt> colors to more quickly differentiate between threads. Anyone
 Matt> know how to accomplish this?

After some digging, I came up with this lisp code (put it into your
.gnus file):

; Create a new face for thread roots
(make-face 'gnus-summary-root-face)
; Make it red, use other colors and/or set-face-* functions as
; appropriate.
(set-face-foreground 'gnus-summary-root-face "red")

; This selects my new face for thread roots (which have level 0).
; Actually only the part between the ;;;s is mine, the rest is the
; default list. Entries are checked in order, so placement is
; important. See docs of `gnus-summary-highlight' for more info.
(setq gnus-summary-highlight
  '(((= mark gnus-canceled-mark)
     . gnus-summary-cancelled-face)
;;;
    ((= (gnus-summary-thread-level) 0)
     . gnus-summary-root-face)
;;;
    ((and (> score default)
	  (or (= mark gnus-dormant-mark)
	      (= mark gnus-ticked-mark)))
     . gnus-summary-high-ticked-face)
    ((and (< score default)
	  (or (= mark gnus-dormant-mark)
	      (= mark gnus-ticked-mark)))
     . gnus-summary-low-ticked-face)
    ((or (= mark gnus-dormant-mark)
	 (= mark gnus-ticked-mark))
     . gnus-summary-normal-ticked-face)
    ((and (> score default) (= mark gnus-ancient-mark))
     . gnus-summary-high-ancient-face)
    ((and (< score default) (= mark gnus-ancient-mark))
     . gnus-summary-low-ancient-face)
    ((= mark gnus-ancient-mark)
     . gnus-summary-normal-ancient-face)
    ((and (> score default) (= mark gnus-unread-mark))
     . gnus-summary-high-unread-face)
    ((and (< score default) (= mark gnus-unread-mark))
     . gnus-summary-low-unread-face)
    ((= mark gnus-unread-mark)
     . gnus-summary-normal-unread-face)
    ((and (> score default) (memq mark (list gnus-downloadable-mark
					     gnus-undownloaded-mark)))
     . gnus-summary-high-unread-face)
    ((and (< score default) (memq mark (list gnus-downloadable-mark
					     gnus-undownloaded-mark)))
     . gnus-summary-low-unread-face)
    ((memq mark (list gnus-downloadable-mark gnus-undownloaded-mark))
     . gnus-summary-normal-unread-face)
    ((> score default)
     . gnus-summary-high-read-face)
    ((< score default)
     . gnus-summary-low-read-face)
    (t
     . gnus-summary-normal-read-face)))

; EOF

 Matt> By the way, I _think_ I'm using gnus 5.5, just because the FAQ
 Matt> says that 5.5 is standard with XEmacs 20.4, which is what I'm
 Matt> using. My other question, then, is how do I show the gnus
 Matt> version?

H v in most buffers.

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>