* Recovering some disk space from agent
@ 1999-08-21  3:53 Rene Matteau
From: Rene Matteau @ 1999-08-21  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have been following a few high volume newsgroups. They are using
over half of the total disk space that the agent is using on my
machine. For various reasons, I don't have time to follow them anymore
so I would like to reclaim the disk space. First I will un-subscribe;
this will remove the groups from the summary, but this will not remove
the data from the agent. Now how do I remove these groups from the
agent and recover the disk space? I have not found a way to do
this. Agent expiry may recover the space (anybody know for sure?) but
I really don't want to lose the local data for the other newsgroups
that I want to continue following. So that seems to leave the manual
method. Will the following work:

1) stop gnus
2) Remove the line for each unwanted group from
   News/agent/nntp/SERVER/agent.lib/active
3) Remove ALL the line for each unwanted group from
   News/agent/nntp/SERVER/agent.lib/history (Is this in fact needed?)
4) Remove the directory containing the postings

Thanks...

* Re: Recovering some disk space from agent
@ 1999-08-22  5:05 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-08-22  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \

* Re: Recovering some disk space from agent
@ 1999-08-23  9:57   ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-08-23  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Rat> When I've wanted to clean out agent directories, I've had no
 Rat> problems with 'rm -rf'.

Cheating!

        Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: Recovering some disk space from agent
@ 1999-09-24 18:37 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-24 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rene Matteau" <matteau@vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> OK, I was probably not being clear enough in the first posting; I just
> want to delete some of the newsgroups followed by the agent for a
> server, not all of them. I would prefer not to restart from scratch as
> I am often looking for the parent of new posts when in offline mode.

... that is, just do "rm -rf ~/News/agent/nntp/server/that/unwanted/group",
or something like that.

* Re: Recovering some disk space from agent
@ 1999-09-24 18:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-24 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rene Matteau" <matteau@vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> I just want to confirm that simply deleting the agent directories will
> not cause problems as reference to the deleted newsgroups will still
> be left in some of the agent's files (active and history).

The extra lines in the history file will be removed the next time you
run Agent expiry, so you can safely "rm -rf" any Agent group
directories you want to blast away.

* Re: Recovering some disk space from agent
@ 1999-08-23 17:24 Rene Matteau
From: Rene Matteau @ 1999-08-23 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I was probably not being clear enough in the first posting; I just
want to delete some of the newsgroups followed by the agent for a
server, not all of them. I would prefer not to restart from scratch as
I am often looking for the parent of new posts when in offline mode.

Rene

@ 1999-08-23 17:14 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-08-23 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

--