From: David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Foreign server info?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:22:21 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6 <at> verizon.net> writes:

> > If you create a new server by copying of it using the `c'
> > command, you will be able to edit it.  It is stored in the
> > gnus-server-alist variable and saved in the .newsrc.eld file.
>
> I created it using the `a' command in the server buffer.  Perhaps I
> should just `c' the existing one and work with the copy.  But it still
> seems kind of magical that gnus seems to know the information without
> having stored it anywhere
>
> Thanks,

Just to close the case.  It turns out that there is some magic, after all, but
it was living in the particular DNS server I was hitting.  Looking a bit deeper,
I found that the information stored in .newsrc.eld, which looks like
nnimap:server will work provided that "server" can be resolved and everything
else is default.  In my case, I thought that shouldn't work because the host I
specified for server is actually in a DNS subdomain and according to most of the
DNS servers at work, the name server.foo.org doesn't resolve.  However it turns
out I got lucky.  The DNS server I was pointed to by DHCP happened to be the
same one that manages the subdomain containing the mail server and for some
reason was willing to search both zones, thus allowing it to resolve.  I
discovered this by accident when it (properly) didn't work after plugging my lap
top into a different subnet and getting a different DNS server.  I've added the
server to secondary select methods so it works properly now.

Thanks,

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net