* move to new hd gnus problems
@ 2005-10-11 20:04 Paul Martinelli
From: Paul Martinelli @ 2005-10-11 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've successfully moved all my home directory to a new hard drive, except for
Gnus.  Part of the problem probably stems from the ill-conceived procedure I
used in the middle of an emergency yesterday.  I had upgraded my hard drive
where my home directory was to a larger one (hdb1).  This hard drive mounts
on /home in another hard drive where the root directory is (hda1).  So I
proceeded by first copying all the contents of the old hard drive
to /usr/local/<username> in hda1.  I then removed the old hard drive, installed
and mounted the new one in the same manner as the old one, and copied
everything from hda1 back to the newly installed hdb1.

Everything I've checked so far works as before, but Gnus is showing only newly
arrived mail and old mail is not even shown.  All my news and mail groups are
there, and everything is intact in the newsgroups.  It's only the old mail that
doesn't seem to be read.  I've also checked that all the mark files are being
completely deleted at Gnus startup, although the messages themselves are
untouched in their original places.

These are the relevant parts of ~/.gnus.el:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
	     '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/News/.nnmaildir")
			 (get-new-mail t)))

(setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/mail/<username>")))

and, as always, I have fetchmail fetch all my mail and put it in the indicated
spool file.

Any ideas to help me get back my old mail, marks and scores would be very much
appreciated!

Paul

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-10-11 20:04 UTC | newest]