* Gnus and Gmail?
@ 2011-03-07  3:32 Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2011-03-07  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been using Gnus for a number of years to access IMAP and POP3 accounts.
I'm now switching my POP3 connection to Gmail, and it's not working so far.

I started by following the directions at
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail#toc4.  On Debian Lenny with Emacs 22.1,
I couldn't connect.  I now moved to LMDE and Emacs 23.2.1 with Gnus 5.13.  I
moved my .gnus over from the Lenny machine, started Gnus, tried reading, and it
said it was downloading 290 files over TLS.  (In debugging things, I did that
twice more; I suspect I got multiple copies of the same things, even though I
had told Gmail to archive downloaded emails.)

That sounded good, but I can't find the emails.  I had forgotten to move over
the contents of my .emacs so that topics and mail splitting would stand a chance
of working.

I then moved over my .emacs pretty much wholesale, changed a few things such as
setting up to use Gmail's smtp servers
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail#toc2).  I still don't get my old
topics, I can't find the newer emails, and I'm not even sure if I see all my
more recent emails I had downloaded earlier.

I tried to send something using Gmail's smtp servers, but I got nothing (the
error buffer came up empty).

With so many problems, I'm game to try pieces one at a time.  I'd like to be
able to download emails reliably, have topics show up again, andm have mail
splitting work.  If necessary, I can even rsync my email system as it was before
I did the first download from Gmail.

Suggestions?  Things to try?

Thanks,

Bill Harris