* Question regarding `gnus-agent-save-group-info'
@ 2015-12-08 13:16 Jens
From: Jens @ 2015-12-08 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I have a minor inconvenience with agentized IMAP groups.  If I delete
articles out of these while being plugged, the max value of the IMAP group
active information drops.  However, the agent would not update its active
information to the new, lower value because of the following snippet from
`gnus-agent-save-group-info':

	  (insert (format "%S %d %d y\n" (intern group)
		  (max (or oactive-max (cdr active)) (cdr active))
		  (min (or oactive-min (car active)) (car active))))

As a result, when being unplugged, the group shows that it has unread
articles, which display as "undownloaded" articles in the group's summary
buffer.  Even though these articles do not actually exist on the IMAP server.

When I modify `gnus-agent-save-group-info' to always use the IMAP server
active information for the agent as well, everything works fine.

Why do you need the max/min approach in `gnus-agent-save-group-info'?  Why
not always set the agent active information to the active information of the
agentized group?

Jens

* Re: Question regarding `gnus-agent-save-group-info'
@ 2016-02-06  6:33 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-06  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens; +Cc: ding

Jens <jens.schmidt001@arcor.de> writes:

> I have a minor inconvenience with agentized IMAP groups.  If I delete
> articles out of these while being plugged, the max value of the IMAP group
> active information drops.  However, the agent would not update its active
> information to the new, lower value because of the following snippet from
> `gnus-agent-save-group-info':
>
> 	  (insert (format "%S %d %d y\n" (intern group)
> 		  (max (or oactive-max (cdr active)) (cdr active))
> 		  (min (or oactive-min (car active)) (car active))))
>
> As a result, when being unplugged, the group shows that it has unread
> articles, which display as "undownloaded" articles in the group's summary
> buffer.  Even though these articles do not actually exist on the IMAP server.
>
> When I modify `gnus-agent-save-group-info' to always use the IMAP server
> active information for the agent as well, everything works fine.
>
> Why do you need the max/min approach in `gnus-agent-save-group-info'?  Why
> not always set the agent active information to the active information of the
> agentized group?

I think the idea is that the Agent is a store of cached articles, and
even if the articles have expired from the server, they should still be
available in Gnus.  For instance, if you're reading from a news server
with short expiry, the min number will increase on the server, but it
shouldn't increase in Gnus until you expire the messages from the
Agent...

For IMAP this may not be quite what we want, though.  But what do we
want?  :-)