From: lorentey@elte.hu (Lőrentey Károly)
Subject: Re: spam.el: automatically resplitting ham in a spam group?
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:19:12 +0100	[thread overview]

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
> You can set a ham-destination of "INBOX" or wherever your incoming
> mail comes from.  That might help you (but make sure to tell spam.el
> to mark ham unread before moving it to INBOX).

My incoming mail comes from a Maildir, where it gets put by fetchmail.
I am hesitant about leaving my mail on a network server, so at the
moment I use IMAP only as a kind of fancy POP3.

I can not specify my incoming Maildir as a ham-destination, because
having the same Maildir serve as a mail source and a Gnus group is an
official Bad Practice(tm).  Of course, I could have a cron job moving
messages from the ham.proven group to my incoming Maildir.  That would
work, but it would be somewhat of a kludge.

> The problem with automatic resplitting is that it could send your
> mail back to the spam folder.  I don't like that possibility.

You are right, I have not thought about that.  Of course, in my setup
it would just mean that the mail gets back to the spam.candidates
group and I have to have a look at it again the next time I decide for
a little cherry-picking of false positives.  Sooner or later,
BogoFilter sees the message as ham so many times that its spamicity
level gets below the threshold.

> I could make a ham-destination option to use 'respool instead of a
> group name, but just recently there was discussion of a nnimap bug
> with respooling.  What if the respooling returns nil, do we leave
> the ham message in the spam group?

Hm.  What if spam-split would simply be disabled during the ham-exit
respool?

--
Lőrentey Károly