From: Ted Stern <dodecatheon@gmail.com>
Subject: Total expiry not working -- is clock skew the problem?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 08:28:55 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi,

I started a new job about 100 days ago and had to reconstitute my
entire Gnus setup, almost from scratch.  In my old job, I had total
expiry turned on and articles expired with no problems.  Now I have
total expiry turned on in the group parameters for an entire topic,
but nothing has expired automatically since day one.

For example, here are the group parameters for my 'lists' topic:

      ;;; Editing the topic parameters for `lists'.
      ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.

      ((gcc-self . t)
       (total-expire . t)
       (expiry-wait . 7.0)
       (display . 100))

And here are the group parameters for a group under that topic:

      ;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnfolder:lists.modules'.
      ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.

      ((timestamp 17384 51314)
       (to-address . "modules-interest@lists.sourceforge.net")
       (to-list . "modules-interest@lists.sourceforge.net"))

But no joy.  I still have the very first article in that group.

My current theory is this:  my home directory is NFS-mounted from a
remote server, and time-synching is a real problem -- none of the
clocks match.  I get "clock-skew" errors all the time when trying to
build packages, for example.  Could the clock skew be breaking expiry?

I'm due to get a new computer eventually (only 6 months after starting
:-/) and it will have space for my home directory.  But do I have to
wait for an accurate clock before expiry will start working?

Ted
--
 dodecatheon at gmail dot com
 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal