* message-send-mail incredibly slow
@ 2006-08-07 18:58 Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2006-08-07 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

At work, my desktop was recently upgraded to a nice quick Red Hat
Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 2) Xeon 64 workstation.
I'd previously been running on a Xeon 32 with Red Hat 9.

I built and installed CVS Emacs 22.0.50 & CVS Gnus for myself, on both
versions.  The strange thing about this upgrade is that Gnus actually
slowed WAY down on sending messages.  What I see when sending is
"Sending ..." for about 20 seconds to a minute, sometimes longer.
It's hanging somewhere.

As a clueless non-elisp programmer, I was wondering how to profile or
otherwise debug message-send-mail-using-sendmail to see where the time
is being sent.

More details:

As a sanity check, I tried emailing using Pine, and the send was
virtually instantaneous.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but the only other program
that seems to take ages longer than expected is 'less', either
installed with RHELWS4 or built from source.

Any suggestions?

Ted
--
 dodecatheon at gmail dot com
 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-08-07 18:58 UTC | newest]