* mime not recognizing word document
@ 2005-11-07 21:44 Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2005-11-07 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I've just gotten my favored gnus environment reconstructed after
moving to a new job.  It's been a bit problematic since I've had to
hand install most of the supporting software, and I may have missed
one or more packages.

I've installed antiword, and am using .gnus settings to decode MSWord
documents inline, according to the following instructions:

,---- [ http://zarb.org/~gc/html/howto-adopt-gnus.html, near bottom ]
| (defun mm-inline-msword (handle)
|   (let (text)
|     (with-temp-buffer
|       (mm-insert-part handle)
|       (call-process-region (point-min) (point-max) "antiword" t t nil "-")
|       (setq text (buffer-string)))
|     (mm-insert-inline handle text)))
|
| (add-to-list 'mm-automatic-display "application/msword")
| (add-to-list 'mm-inlined-types "application/msword")
| (add-to-list 'mm-inline-media-tests '("application/msword" mm-inline-msword identity))
|
| ; when the sucker provided the wrong mimetype, use the file extension
| (add-to-list 'mm-inlined-types "application/octet-stream")
| (add-to-list 'mm-inline-media-tests
| 	     '("application/octet-stream" mm-inline-msword
| 	       (lambda (handle)
| 		 (let ((name (mail-content-type-get (mm-handle-disposition handle) 'filename)))
| 		   (and name (equal ".doc" (substring name -4 nil)))
| 		   ))))
`----

This always worked for me at my old job, but now it doesn't Instead, I
get the following message when middle-clicking on a word attachment:

,----

| [1. HughesAgenda.doc --- application/msword; HughesAgenda.doc]
|
| - is not a Word Document.
`----

No joy :-(.  But when I save the attachment, I can use antiword on it
with no problems.

Any ideas?
--
 dodecatheon at gmail dot com
 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-11-07 21:44 UTC | newest]