From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
Subject: Re: Splitting, crossposts, duplicates, the universe, and everything.
Date: 17 Nov 1998 18:19:12 -0500	[thread overview]

Michael Welsh Duggan <md5i@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > Once the mail is split, it only ends up in my `one' mailbox.  But what
> > I want is a single copy in each of the `one', `two', `three', and
> > `four' mailboxes.  OK.  So I figured that I'd just set
> > `nnmail-crosspost' to `t'.  Once I did that, an email with the same
> > `To:' line as above indeed ended up in each of those four mailboxes,
> > but it appeared four times in each one, for a total of 16 instances
> > altogether.
> >
> > I sort of see why this happened, but I'm wondering if there's a way to
> > prevent this.  I'd like to cause one and only one copy to appear in
> > each of the mailboxes that appear on the `To:' line.
> >
> > [ ... ]
> > case.
>
> Actually, `nnmail-split-fancy' should work just fine.  Try the
> following for the above:
>
> (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
> (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>       '(&
>         (to "one@asfast\\.com" "one")
>         (to "two@asfast\\.com" "two")
>         (to "three@asfast\\.com" "three")
>         (to "four@asfast\\.com" "four")
>         "other"))

Thank you very much.

I did this and got the same results as before (16 instances of the
message).  And now I realize why:

Suppose the `To:' line of some email coming to my system looks like
this:

  To: one@asfast.com, two@asfast.com, three@asfast.com, four@asfast.com

This causes 4 separate messages to be sent out, and all four of these
come to my machine.  My local mail software puts all four of these
into a central mailbox, and then Gnus splits them by the above rules.
Each of these four messages will then get sent through my
`nnmail-split-fancy' methods, and each of them will then go to each of
four mailboxes ("one", "two", "three", "four").  In other words, now
there are 16 messages where orginally there were four.

I know that Gnus has a `gnus-suppress-duplicates' variable that can be
set.  Would the use of this variable help me in this case?  The goal
is to have one copy of the message appearing in each of the four
mailboxes.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com