* Request for opinions as to feasibility of a Gnus application.
@ 1999-11-07 20:04 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-11-07 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a need for some special processing that I'd like to implement
in Gnus, if possible.  I'd like to discuss this here to see if perhaps
there already is a way to do exactly what I want under Gnus that I
somehow missed, or if not, whether any of you can see any pitfalls in
my proposed approach or offer any useful suggestions.

First of all, here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I manage a server machine that contains a collection of relatively
large files that could consist of images, PDF's, etc.  This machine is
is accessible over the internet by users who primarily make use of a
relatively slow PPP connection.  These users are capable of using Gnus
(at least as end-users) and are willing to do so.

I can very easily (mostly using Perl), build one or more validly
constructed newsgroups on the server (with associated overview
information) that contain articles of the following form, one for each
large file:

  From: me@myserver.com
  Newsgroups: my.local.newsgroup.name
  Subject: One-line description of the large file
  Date: <date posted to archive>

  The body of the article would contain a more detailed text
  description of the large file.

The remote users would be able to use NNTP in a normal fashion to read
all these articles.  So far, this is all straightforward and trivial
and requires no changes or enhancementes to Gnus.

However, I'd like to give the users the means within Gnus to download
these large files to their local machines, if desired.  To do so, I'd
like to create a new decoding command within Gnus which, for any
selected articles, would create an asynchronous process which uses FTP
or HTTP or rsync or something similar (yet to be decided and possibly
even configurable at run time) to download the associated large files
to a user-specified location on the local machine.

There are a number of ways to do this including non-NNTP/non-Gnus
methods involving HTTP or other protocols.  However, I would like to
try to do this under Gnus.

I know how to write the elisp/Gnus code to implement this, but as I
mentioned, before I do so, I'm wondering if there already is something
in Gnus that I missed which could do something like this, or if not,
if anyone sees any obvious pitfalls or "gotchas" in my proposal.
Also, I'm wondering if perhaps anyone can think of one or more
different approaches under Gnus that would provide the functionality
I'm looking for (remote users behind a slow connection being able to
view information about large files within one or more newsgroups, and
then to be able to asynchronously download on request any desired
large files).

Thanks in advance for any insights you all might be able to provide.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com